1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it safe to turn off antivirus software

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by skipper847, Feb 17, 2020.

1. skipper847

Hitman

I only use windows 10 antivirus software but it stopping oculus downloading games and it even says on there website to turn it off while downloading games if having problems. How safe is it to turn off and what do you turn off?. Thanks.

It only doing it with certain games. At the moment I'm trying to download Elite D and antivirus software is stopping it but I have downloaded other since.

2. Beerbaron

Soldato

How confident are you that the content you are downloading is safe?

I have a similar issue with a new vendor's software at work which the AV stops from running. Their fix is for us to add an exception and allow it. I want assurances around their testing and secure coding practices and have asked the AV company to investigate. I want to know my risks first :)

3. mrbell1984

Capodecina

It's as safe as you think it is safe. You are downloading content and it's up to your discretion to turn it off or not. It's your security and your system you are looking after.

Nobody on this forum can say otherwise.

4. sideways14a

Wise Guy

If you have to ask the question then NO do not turn off your security.

The number of wonkey laptops i see come across my desk with malware is ridicules.

5. Orcvader

Capodecina

Have you tried whitelisting Oculus instead to see if that helps? It seems extreme to ask you to turn off your AV in order to fix downloads.

6. skipper847

Hitman

It must be just oculus software as for dozen time shutting it down and re-starting its downloaded but oculus software was actually recommending it with a pop up. It also says here https://support.oculus.com/225459294538101/

I never turned it off in the end as said I just tried and tried and in the end it did it.