• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it time to upgrade yet?

Soldato
As above, I'm currently on a 9900k but after so many years I've got that itch again. System is mainly used for gaming, currently at 1440p but plan on jumping to 4k.

I'm looking for something with more legs in titles like Anno1800 and X4 Foundations where my cpu ends up pinned and things turn into a slide show.

But only worth it if I'll see a big difference, if so what would you get?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There's nothing wrong, X4 isn't so much of a Game as it is a simulation. Certain titles hammer the cpu and after a certain point there are huge and very noticeable frame rate drops. I'd probably be better with a Threadripper.

Just for reference my 9900k is running at 5.1Ghz, 32gb of 3600Mhz DDR4 and a 3080ti. Everything is rock solid stable and no thermal throttling.

Soldato
Afaik, vs the Intel 9th gen, this year's CPUs will come out something like 40-45% faster clock per clock. Given that they all seem happy to hit at least 5.1ghz at stock, you can certainly get a good upgrade. I'm planning something myself (coming from an 8700k) once I've seen comparisons of Ryzen 7000 vs Raptor Lake. Well worth waiting a few weeks I reckon :D

Soldato
As above, I'm currently on a 9900k but after so many years I've got that itch again. System is mainly used for gaming, currently at 1440p but plan on jumping to 4k.

I'm looking for something with more legs in titles like Anno1800 and X4 Foundations where my cpu ends up pinned and things turn into a slide show.

But only worth it if I'll see a big difference, if so what would you get?
no, it is not safe to upgrade...contrary to what this guy tells you cos he wants all your money for his private leather farm...
nvidia-jensen-huang.gif

still find it funny that upgrading PC components is a safety issue in Mr Ngreedia's mind...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Afaik, vs the Intel 9th gen, this year's CPUs will come out something like 40-45% faster clock per clock. Given that they all seem happy to hit at least 5.1ghz at stock, you can certainly get a good upgrade. I'm planning something myself (coming from an 8700k) once I've seen comparisons of Ryzen 7000 vs Raptor Lake. Well worth waiting a few weeks I reckon :D

Thanks for that, it's good to know. I'm waiting for the raptor Lake reviews

Soldato
I would say there's definitely a big difference in Anno 1800. Relatively the performance gains will be bigger in newer games when open-world + raytraced, but since Anno 1800 is already poorly performing the additional boost is actually more significant. Btw don't listen to the "you're GPU bound at 4K" guys, because they're not thinking through what they're saying. If your CPU can't deliver you 60 fps then your CPU can't deliver you 60 fps, so you won't be able to make up that lack unlike for GPU where you can just dial down FSR a bit and make up the difference. The most important thing when evaluating a CPU upgrade is to pass 60 fps threshold (or whatever you minimum target is)!

Xl8iyXy.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I would say there's definitely a big difference in Anno 1800. Relatively the performance gains will be bigger in newer games when open-world + raytraced, but since Anno 1800 is already poorly performing the additional boost is actually more significant. Btw don't listen to the "you're GPU bound at 4K" guys, because they're not thinking through what they're saying. If your CPU can't deliver you 60 fps then your CPU can't deliver you 60 fps, so you won't be able to make up that lack unlike for GPU where you can just dial down FSR a bit and make up the difference. The most important thing when evaluating a CPU upgrade is to pass 60 fps threshold (or whatever you minimum target is)!

Xl8iyXy.jpg

Thank you for the chart, think that's just swung it for me.

Man of Honour
Thank you for the chart, think that's just swung it for me.

In the same review/guide they used a 5600X with a 3070 and changing the detail sliders (@ 1080p) made a huge difference to FPS (over 40% just by dropping to high from very high).

In the 4K (max detail) charts, only a 3080 Ti managed to exceed 60 fps, this game is pretty hardcore at that resolution.

Back
Top Bottom