is it worth getting armed assault?

Associate
hello all

i used to be a very big flash point fan but not for its multiplayer or single player compaign but for its mission editor.

i liked the fact i could create a base or front line defence and have a load of tanks and men come storming at it while you where either a man on the defence line or attacking.

but i have herd the game is buggy and is very demanding, my current spec is

intel p4 3.2 GHZ
Radion X1950 pro 512mb
2gig of ram

would this be good for running on med graphics settings?

could some one also give me the good points and low points of the game?

Cheers

Soldato
I have only played it for about 2 hours but i will give my thoughts.

My spec

Athlon x2 4800+ (939) . 2Gb OCZ Gold XTC . Radeon X800 PE . 74 Gb Raptor

I have found this to be power hungry but then my system does lack in the GPU department.

I have found that turning 'Shaders' to Very Low helped a lot without looking too much different.

Most of my other settings are on medium.

I think Arma is unfinished and in need of a big patch. The pathfinding of the A.I is nearly identical to Operation Flashpoint, its that same clumsy run,stop,turn 40 degrees,run type of thing. Just looks stupid.

The missions (although i have only done 4) do seem nice and tense like the original Flashpoint.

The way in which the a.i squad talk to you is shocking, its hardly audible. They sound like Steven Hawkin having a fit.

I do still like it though and i remember thinking the same about the original, It does grow on you.

Multiplayer seems a bit laggy but if you can find a >50ms server it will be good, some nice coop servers out there although knowing what your doing is hard, especially as no one works as a team.

Not bad though so far, just needs a patch.

Soldato
Yeap, needs a patch (or ten) but I'm really enjoying the game. Had a few really good online games and am enjoying the SP missions. I'm not overly happy with the campaign but I always prefer making my own missions.

Associate
about to give this a go myself tonight. Dont care if its not amazing i just want a good game to play, the current market is just so divoid of anything inspirational right now

Soldato
I was enjoying it up until last night that is.

Till then, i hadnt had any problems but then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, it went absolutely nuts on me.

Night vision flicked on and off randomly. Game froze anytime I pressed the ESC key in order to save my progress. CTRL+ALT+DEL was the only way to get out of it. Game froze regularly at map and loading screens.

Graphics and visuals are fine 70% of the time, but sometimes load up with no details at all and look like this:-

wtftv1.jpg

anotherwtfqc8.jpg

Along with the blocky graphics display, your right-click menus seem to vanish too, so you cant enter vehicles or issue commands to your team AI troops. If you hit the "V" key to use the sighted mode in say, a tanks gunner mode, your crosshairs vanish.

There's no pattern here, it does all of the above completely randomly.

As mentioned above in previous posts, this game is in its present state, pretty much unplayable. It seriously needs a patch, and quick.

I have high hopes for Arma. Once the bugs and problems begin to be ironed out and the modding community get stuff beginning to filter through for download, its got the potential to be an absolute stormer of a game and I look forward to that.

However, as to the OP's original question, then sadly no.....at this point in time, Arma is not worth purchasing.

Soldato
Nope m8, I have a 6800 Ultra.

It was running Arma very well indeed, until the above started happening. However, I dont belive its any hardware issue, its the awful coding of the game thats causing my problems. :cool:

Soldato
Ex-RoNiN said:
Did you pirate the game? Sounds like FADE to me.

Of course not!!!. I purchased the UK version from that big high street gaming place.

I dont see what FADE has got to do with it. FADE technology is owned by Codemasters who have nothing to do with ArmA.

No offence m8, but you might want to get your facts right before suggesting people here are running dodgy copies of the game. :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
kola said:
right game wont work must me pirate hmmm :rolleyes:
You do know what FADE is right? So maybe this particular instance of jumping to a conclusion isnt so misplaced.

Still, OFP was notoriously buggy and im inclined to think Arma is too..

Soldato
As far as I'm aware, FADE was not included in the UK version distributed by 505 Games. I believe its on the other Euro versions.

Anyway, we are getting sidetracked here!!!.

Back to the original topic!! :)

Soldato
I played it again last night and just find myself getting so frustrated with it.

Its not really drawing me back to play it because of all the bugs.

For a new game it is quite poor. I dont think the AI is clever at all and the general game mechanics are broken and havnt really changed since OF.

It has potential to be good with a patch or two.

Soldato
Totally agree.

Its just a shame we are going to have to wait for the first couple of patches to sort these issues out. Once that happens and the game platform is more stable, ArmA will be quite simply awesome. :D

When it plays good, its very, very good.

But when it goes downhill, it does it in quite spectacular fashion.

From what I read about the UK release under 505 Games belt, it was supposed to have many bugs from the first, Euro version, ironed out, plus added content.

I'm not bothered about added content as once the OPF community get their collective modding teeth into it, there will be multtudes of downloads going around to enjoy. But I'm seriously miffed at the fact that it was released in the UK in its present state.

To be honest, there isnt much point in moaning about it, as there's not a lot we can do about it apart from wait for some fixes to be applied via the patches, but its annoying nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom