• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth waiting for the next gen cards

Soldato
Some people has advised me to wait, but is it still worth the wait for a £300-£400 card as Im guessing the cards will be higher priced when they are launched?

Soldato
OP
Looking at your sig, your not a gamer so might as well wait as long as you can.

Im not a big gamer no, and the games that I play( most demanding games I have are doom 2016 and dirt rally) run smooth enough, so yeah I can wait. But saying the RTX 2070 looks a nice price at the moment.

Soldato
OP
sounds like you don't need it at all? £300 is a big chunk to spend on something you're not all that interested in IMO :)

I would keep the card for longer but its getting hot for some reason and I have redone the paste but its not a lot difference. So thats the main reason for the new card.

Im also thinking that the longer I leave it for, the cheaper the cards will become, like the RTX2070 is a bit cheaper then a few months ago and it would be a nice performance boost and might last me another 5+years.

Reading that makes me think of apple and all there iphones 4 vs 5 vs 6 vs 7 vs 8 all being almost the exactly the same and charging maximum prices for them
And people still bought millions of them :eek::(

Yeah I dont see the point buying iphone after iphone if your basically getting the same thing each time

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Oh boy, you're gonna get rabid AMD fans telling you one thing, and nvidia fans telling you another...

They appear from a few comparison sights to be pretty much equivalent cards. The RTX 2070 will give you some amount of ray-tracing ability that's not present in the 5700XT, and the 2070 will give you g-sync. The 5700XT will probably give you better freesync compatibility. Either one is going to be a really good boost compared to the current card you have, around 100% boost AFAICT.
They are both very much on par with each other performance wise. So the choice is yours.

Depends on the model in question. For a decent well reviewed model, with decent cooler you are talking a very similar price point.

And again as above the RTX card has some extra features. But it will be limited considering Raytracing performance in general.

I might as well stick with AMD then, if both cards are about equal. I haven't had a Nvidia card in 10+ years.

If you don't game too much consider buying a 1660 Super now for around £230. It will be way faster than your 290 while been a lot quieter and using less power.

Either keep it for a couple of years, or sell it when the next generation GPUs come out and upgrade to one of those.
If I am strapped for cash I might buy a lower spec card... But I think I will be buying it on the "never, never" (paypal credit), as I like to keep my hardware untill the bitter end;)

Soldato
OP
So you aren't a big gamer.

Your current card runs all the games you play fine.

Yet you want to buy a new gpu?

Do you buy a new washing machine every few years just for the fun of it too?
I said in a post I would be keeping my r9 290 but its getting hot for some reason, I try to use my stuff until they are slow and chuggy. So Im guessing with not being a big gamer, a RTX 2070 or 5700xt should last me 5+ years until things get chuggy.

Soldato
OP
Take it apart and repaste it. Nothing to lose if you are planning on getting a new card anyways. If it works then it buys you some more months for the next gen card to arrive.

I have done that loads of times, and the first few hrs after reapplying the paste, temps are fine and then they slowly increase again.

Soldato
OP
I have just ordered the 5700xt..... https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35p-ms.html

At the resolution you play at and the fact that you are not a big gamer, a 1660 Super would probably last you 5 years no problem. I wouldn't buy any GPU on credit. Start saving now and buy one when you have the money.

If it wasn't for the paypal credit, I wouldn't of been able to afforded to upgrade to the i7 8086k from my trusty i5 2500k, and the only reason for that upgrade was because the motherboard started having problems.

There's a big difference between the 1660 super and the 5700xt. Wonder how much of a gap it is between the r9 290 and the 5700xt:D
uuUimII.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Whilst there is a good amount of perf to be gained from an R9 290(x) to a 5700 XT it is sad that there is no AMD equivalent product in today’s market the 290x was a decent GPU. They had a go with the Fury, Vega 64 and Radeon VII but it was all a bit meh no generational jump in perf just nudging the dial up a bit with some pretty ugly pricing or just being late to the party.

I hope AMD use big Navi to disrupt the GPU market, that will get them market share back even if Nvidia do release a higher performance product.
If I remember rightly my r9 290 cost me about £350 and I have had it for about 5-6years, even though it had been out a few years before buying it.

Anyway the 5700xt card came friday and its excellent.. its a hell of a lot smaller, runs cooler and feels lighter too, so I get no more sagging/bending like with the r9 290. I havent done any benchmarking but games do feel nicer to play, even though the r9 290 ran all my games quite smooth anyway.

Also I have figured out with the monitor turned off the card throttles back quite a bit. causing the temps to go even lower and slowing the fanspeed down. My r9 290 didn't throttle back at all when the screen was off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom