Is my i9-9900k cooled normally?

Associate
Hello everyone, I recently have a PC with the following components:
CPU: i9-9900k; Motherboard: MSI Z390 Ace; Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro; Case: Coolmaster Cosmos C-900P; PSU: Corsair AX-1600i

When not overclocking (all cores at 4.7GHz), and running Prime 95 Version 29.4 build 8, small FFT, my CPU temperature is at about 84 C;
When I overclock to all cores at 5.0GHz, under the same test (Prime 95 Version 29.4 build 8, small FFT), CPU temperature is 95 C and the test is unstable; more than half of workers will have errors and stop running within 1 minute of the test.
When I lowered the overclocking to 4.9Ghz on all cores, it is still unstable on the same test. Some workers will stop running within 3 minutes.

However, if I run the Blend test, even all cores at 5.0Ghz it is still stable. Temperature is at 90 C though.

The H150i pro is a larger cooler with 3* 120 mm fans. So I am wondering is this temperature normal for my components? Thank you very much for reading.

Soldato
Hello everyone, I recently have a PC with the following components:
CPU: i9-9900k; Motherboard: MSI Z390 Ace; Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro; Case: Coolmaster Cosmos C-900P; PSU: Corsair AX-1600i

When not overclocking (all cores at 4.7GHz), and running Prime 95 Version 29.4 build 8, small FFT, my CPU temperature is at about 84 C;
When I overclock to all cores at 5.0GHz, under the same test (Prime 95 Version 29.4 build 8, small FFT), CPU temperature is 95 C and the test is unstable; more than half of workers will have errors and stop running within 1 minute of the test.
When I lowered the overclocking to 4.9Ghz on all cores, it is still unstable on the same test. Some workers will stop running within 3 minutes.

However, if I run the Blend test, even all cores at 5.0Ghz it is still stable. Temperature is at 90 C though.

The H150i pro is a larger cooler with 3* 120 mm fans. So I am wondering is this temperature normal for my components? Thank you very much for reading.

run unigine valley 720p and leave for a few hours at 5ghz . if it hasnt crashed you know your fine for gaming . no games run AVX

ace will throttle with VRM is running AVX as well or close to it, only master, GODLIKE and Xtreme can take 24 hours running Prime - even if CPU is fine VRMs will overheat

use realbench, yes is does use avx but not as extensively and should gauge if your stable enough

also stock paste is useless, get some non metal thermal grizzly for £5

Associate
OP
run unigine valley 720p and leave for a few hours at 5ghz . if it hasnt crashed you know your fine for gaming . no games run AVX

ace will throttle with VRM is running AVX as well or close to it, only master, GODLIKE and Xtreme can take 24 hours running Prime - even if CPU is fine VRMs will overheat

use realbench, yes is does use avx but not as extensively and should gauge if your stable enough

also stock paste is useless, get some non metal thermal grizzly for £5
Thanks! I never heard of Unigine Vallley before and it looks quite interesting. I see that they also have Unigine Superposition, which is better for such tests? And, I am not using stock thermal paste that comes with the cooler, but I am using Coolmaster's MasterGel Maker instead. However, I have few experience on assembling coolers, so I may not have applied adequate amount of the thermal compound. I never know.

I will start from running the Unigine Tests as you suggested. Thanks again.

Soldato
Most people using Prime95 don't bother with AVX so stick to version 26.6. It looks like configuring an overclock to really do the dance around AVX levels is a good bit trickier than typical setups.

Back
Top Bottom