Is my memory defined correctly in my motherboard? I thought it was 2400mHz memory but bios say 1600mHz?

Soldato
So I have an old Asus Z97-A mother board with 16GB of PC3-2400MHz = Kingston HyperX Savage Red 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (HX324C11SRK2/16)

When I look in my bios it says the memory frequency is 1600mhz? I can also see in my bios settings I can change it from AUTO and manually select DDR3-2400Mhz?

So is my memory running at the right speed or not?

3xjsoZp.png

osKF30J.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
enable xmp
That's interesting... Can't see any XMP in the bios menus. But looking at the manual, there is a switch on the motherboard:-

VyLNnnE.jpg

Not sure if it's it's current 'down' position (like the picture) that's supose to on or off though :(

EDIT:
PHIRHnW.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That switch was down, now it is up, and light came on next to it.

Now:-
tQoqduE.png

Does this mean for FIVE+ YEARS my memory has never been running at full speed? LOL!

Soldato
OP
Where's that meme for a double face palm when you need it :)

Wonder how much difference it'll make to those games that are struggling a bit on my old system :)

Don
Wonder how much difference it'll make to those games that are struggling a bit on my old system :)
Could be as much as 10% :)

Last edited:
Associate
That switch was down, now it is up, and light came on next to it.

Now:-
tQoqduE.png

Does this mean for FIVE+ YEARS my memory has never been running at full speed? LOL!
Yes. 5 years of your RAM at a slow speed.

Look into RAM and try to understand how it works and so on.

You’ll get more out of it and understand RAM timings and so on.

Your current RAM latency settings are very slow and set to 2T command rate so you’ll see another performance boost by getting those timings down and setting the timing rate to 1T.

Do a BIOS update and google your RAM for overclocking support.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes. 5 years of your RAM at a slow speed.

Look into RAM and try to understand how it works and so on.

You’ll get more out of it and understand RAM timings and so on.

Your current RAM latency settings are very slow and set to 2T command rate so you’ll see another performance boost by getting those timings down and setting the timing rate to 1T.

Do a BIOS update and google your RAM for overclocking support.
9yrs actually :)

I'd rather leave it set to standard. I fear overclocking it, eg: 2T->1T for what might be a few fps (from an overclocking post I read - "0.5% at most in games"), might just lead to blue screens and other risk.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom