Is my motherboard the problem?

Soldato
This is a bit of a follow on from this old thread.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17521795

but i'll give a quick run down

I built this machine in December of last year
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) CAS3 Dual Channel Kit
Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower (Socket 939/754/478/775) CPU Cooler
BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache
Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache
OcUK Value Floppy Drive
NEC ND4550 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
Lian-Li PC-7 PLUS Silver Aluminium Midi-Tower Case
Enermax Noisetaker 600W EG701AX-VE(W) SFMA ATX2.0 SLI Compliant PSU

I started having crashing problems from the start, machine would work fine for hours then suddenly crash, the sound would go crazy for about 10-20 seconds then the machien would restart, though sometimes it would just instantly restart.

I put an Audigy 2 card from my old PC to see if this would solve the problem but it's still the same.

On recommendation from another thread i changed the boot option from dual core to single core and saw a massive increase in reliabilty. Though i had a problem that when i 1st turned the PC on and played a game it would crash within 5 minutes but once the machine restarted it would work fine. So when i turned the PC on i would instantly restart it, doing this i no longer had any crashing problems.

I used this method for months with very few problems, machine worked for days/weeks without a crash, until 2 weeks ago.
I've seen a steady increase in crashes, no matter what i do.

Last night my machine crashed while watching a trailer in Quicktime, when i restarted it, it kept constantly crashing.
Long story short, after messing around in safe mode i finally got it to stop crashing, but now certain devices fail to start, my firewire, network, sound card to name a few. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling etc. with no success.

Believing it was a software problem i tried to use my Win64 partition, which i rarly use, but it has exactually the same problem, the same devices fail to start up.

Next step i tried was pysically removing the sound card and reseting the bios but that didn't help, i even tried reinstalling windows but setup stops at the "Setup is now starting Windows" message.

I don't think it's the RAM, i run a memtest on that months ago when i had all the crashing problems and it passed everytime, but when i get a chance tonight, i'll run anaother. So i think i'm looking at the motherboard/CPU/graphics card as the problem, unfortunatly i don't have replacement parts for any of those. The old machine i'm using at home now is an older AMD model and uses a AGP card.

Any ideas on what i can do to test these remaining parts?

Two options really:

1: Find a mate who has a newish computer and ask/force him to take it to bits so you can try your stuff in it.

2: Find a computer repair shop and ask them. I have one near me and the guy there was really helpful when our laptop went on us. He spent over an hour trying different bits until we found it was the mobo that went fzzzt lol. He didn't charge us a thing to do it either :)

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom