Is my proposed build sensible

Associate
I have a PC that is getting old, built 12 years ago (i5 3570, ASUS P8Z77-V LE, 16GB RAM, MSI 560TI)
My need is for a PC for general home worker - Office Apps, TEAMS, email
Then for personal use I do image editing (Lightroom) and Video editing up to 4k (Movie studio)
Don't do any gaming. Use 2 1920 x 1080 60 Hz Monitors

Time to build something new
As I don't change PC's that often ... want to future proof a bit, without wasting money
Thinking of the following build:
Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz​
Asus ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI II ATX LGA1700​
Deepcool AK620 ZERO DARK 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler​
32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000​
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 SSD​
MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB​
Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold PSU​
all in a Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case​

Welcome thoughts on any mismatch / overkill

I find with my current PC even though I have codec use the GPU it can still take a very long time to render video.

Be interested to know what you suggest as good option i7 mobo (with DDR5 support) .... most are aimed at gamers.

The 1 TB is only local storage, all used files will be on the 2 x 1TB SATA HDD I already have and will move over, also have a 2TB NAS but painfully slow to move file to it.

Any reason you say Aorus Elite 1.1 ..... and not the 1.2 version ?
In reality I only need 4 DDR5 sockets, 2 M.2 sockets ..... so many will be unused.
Don't need any RGB lighting ... plain look is fine for me

Last edited:
I know the 1.2 uses a different WiFi module .... but unsure f anything else.
Never used Gigabyte products so new option for me.
If I did go for this mobo .... is my option of GPU still valid or overkill.

Seems like a lot of waste on parts that are likely not needed, or overspecced

Personally I'd wait a month and go with a B650(E)/9900X build which should leave the 14700K well behind for content creation, ….
Appreciate the comments.
I don’t do any gaming … do image processing & video processing

Hadn’t considered i9. Thought they would be overkill
Waiting a month is not a problem.

Last edited:
Personally I'd wait a month and go with a B650(E)/9900X build which should leave the 14700K well behind for content creation, given the current 7950X (£480) is not far off the ridiculous 14900KS
Good PSU, total overkill if you never upgrade your systems during their life span, but TBH PSU's are daft prices now, and a model with a 10 year warranty would be wise for yourself.
I waited until July release date for Ryzen R9 9900 but been pushed out a month - no problem with waiting, read up on Davinci video editing, and its the main CPU processing is key, a GPU helps but not as much as powerfull CPU.
It looks like a PCI-E4 GPU would be more than adequate, but is it worth having PCI-E5 bus anyway
2 x M.2 slots is enough
1 x LAN port is enough ... currently use GigE, 2.5G is nice in case I add higher speed NAS or similar
USB 3 at least 2 front and 2 back
DDR5 memory support

Am I still best suited to use B650E Taichi Lite ? happy to consider options on AM5 socket boards

Seems like a lot of waste on parts that are likely not needed, or overspecced

Personally I'd wait a month and go with a B650(E)/9900X build which should leave the 14700K well behind for content creation, given the current 7950X (£480) is not far off the ridiculous 14900KS (sometimes ahead sometimes behind), and the uplift from the 7900X should be a decent amount with much lower power draw, meaning your board choice is even less important, and the cooling requirement is not as critical either.

Samsung 970 EVO Plus drive is well out of date, and depending on what you are doing I'd look towards having a couple of decent NVMe disks, and unless you are playing games then a 4070 Ti is way over the top, but again application dependent there is pretty much nothing in the standard RTX 4070 certainly not a 33% cost increase worth, basing the 4070 starting at £450 now, and the Ti being £600, but closer to £700 for most models so over 50% more, you aren't even getting more VRAM, and if you did need VRAM then you should look elsewhere.

Good PSU, total overkill if you never upgrade your systems during their life span, but TBH PSU's are daft prices now, and a model with a 10 year warranty would be wise for yourself.

I did wait .... and looking at what has been released, seems logical for me to go with AMD R9 9900
You mentioned getting the B650E Taichi Lite at £350 ..... this is more expensive than many x670 boards ... is this an optimum choice for that CPU ?
x670 options would seem to be:
Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master £350
AS Rock X670E Steek Legend £370
ASUS PRIM X670E-Pro Wifi £250

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom