Is my PSU enough to handle RTX2070S

Associate
Hi, I am looking at buying a KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EX 1CLICK-OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card, I am upgrading the GPU on this build:

Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-ALPHA Mid-Tower Gaming Case
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
OcUK GeForce GTX 1060 "Reference Design" 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Intel 600P 128GB M.2-2280 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe 3D NAND Solid State Drive
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD
SanDisk SDSSDHII480G
AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 1700 3.70GHz (Socket AM4) Processor
Prime B350-PLUS
Cougar VTX 650W bronze 80+

Primary Monitor Acer Predator XB252Qbmiprzx
Secondary Acer KA240HQ

Is my current PSU enough to run the new card, Manufacturers website says minimum 650W supply but I don't know if they take into account the average power consumption for your other hardware. Just want to be sure that I wont have to order a new PSU in a few days when I plug in the new card and the current one isn't up to it.

Cheers in advance

It should be fine in theory. Can't find the rail specs for the 650 model but the 600W model provides 588W on +12v rail which is already plenty for your components.

Fork out a bit more for the Zotac and you get 5 years warranty instead of just 2 years.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £498.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

That extra warranty can go a long way. I've had two KFA2 cards and both died around the 2 year mark.

And I believe Zotac has good customer service too - here's an example https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/zotac-rma-experience.18827977/

Seems like a no-brainer for around £30 more

As for your PSU question - well, as Danny has said it should offer enough juice but there's no getting away from the fact that it's a budget PSU. I would never buy a component cheaply that could take out my entire system if it goes pop. I always spend more on top tier for peace of mind. That's just me though and I'm well aware I can be a Nervous Nerys when it comes to power supplies :)

It would appear that the VTX 650w is a UK only model. Like the rest of Cougars units the VTX series is built by HEC, a low end budget oem so pretty cheap and nasty internals. However, it states that it has a 624w single 12v rail so it has more than enough power for that pc on paper. In reality though there is no way I would want to run a pc like that with a near £500 gpu off a £52 PSU and would be looking at something with much better quality. If you hunt around you can still find the newly revised Corsair RM series for the bargain prices they were on here a couple of weeks ago.

Zotac is 2 years plus 3 extra if you register online so don't forget ! If you miss the window then no extra cover

Gaming OC is 3+1 yrs , but a little dearer . Trade up is triple fan and 2.5 slot cooler design Vs 2 fans and 2 slot .

Just notice that build is with 2400hz and ryzen 1700.... Not the best combo ...

2400hz will be hurting the 1700 performance quite a bit

Try overclocking your current ram before changing it. You can use the ryzen dram calculator to make it easier.

i have a feeling that kind of ram IC wouldn't be on the list :(

My thoughts as well. I'd be taking advantage of the excellent RAM prices currently available and upgrading to something in the 3200Mhz range for a decent jump in performance.

hopefully board can take 3200hz - large part of ram speed is CPU memory Control but also board design- PCB layers and memory pathways etc . Why records are sent on ITX boards etc

After having a good look around at what was in stock, compatible with what I already have installed and taking into account all your comments, I have ordered the below:

Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB 3200 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Kit
Corsair RM Series RM850 850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply
Zotac GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Didn't see the point in getting a new PSU at the lower limit of my requirement and the 750w was out of stock, so went for the 850w with potential future upgrades in mind. Went for the same RAM but 3200MHz as that is the max my board can take, I can always double it later in the 2 empty slots if i ever need extra memory and the Zotac RTX 2070 Super for the extra warranty.

Thanks for all your help and I am sure Overclockers thanks you too, as I was only going to buy a GPU :)

ah so sorry, when I was writing the post the only text in white was the product details so changed it to black thinking it was a copy and paste thing. I will leave it alone in future :) Just making sure I hadn't ordered the wrong thing before it was too late to change it. Thanks again to you all

Back
Top Bottom