Is my psu good enough

Permabanned
Hi im thinking of moving over to 64 bit, so im looking at:

asus a8n32 delux mb, opteron 146 clocked to about 2.5 gig, 7600gt extreme 256mb

Im running 1gig giel value ddr400, terretec dmx 6

Now my question is will my tagan tg380-u01 (380w) be upto running this system?

thanks

Yes it will be fine, I think it may struggle if you upgrade maybe to a 7900 however thats fine - For now.

If you cna go for a 480w

Cheers mate just looking to spend around 400 quid on a half decent games pc, with good options for future upgrades

obviously if i can avoid a new psu i can get a better spec so thanx for your good news :)

luke

Rite, to bump this thread up again, and staying inline with PSU's...

Im going to get a A64 3700+ soon i believe, or a X2 3800+...

Along with this ill have 2X1GB 3200 G.Skill memory, WD 16mb 250GB hdd, and a connect3d X1900xtx Gcard...

Question is, i have a Hiper 420W PSU, its the "low noise" version, apparently :P...Would this be up to powering this system? For about a month untill i can buy another Hiper Type-R 580W psu...? Or would it be "safer" o get the Type-R now...just wondering as my moneys stretched this month :(

Comments appreciated :)

At stock speeds/voltages I'd say you'll be fine. Keep an eye on your 12v line if you are worried. Perhaps buy yourself a power meter from a well known electronics etailer for £12.50 for peace of mind :)

I had a 450w psu pop last week it was only running an AMD 2600+ Geforce4 ti4200 1.25 gig of memory and ya normal drives and what not

Ive gone up to a 600w psu so i dont have any more nasty power downs :(

I have a athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.5gig, Asus x800 pro, Asus A8N-E mobo, 1gb of corsair pc3200 and all thats running on a 350 watt PSU :eek:

Hmmm...i duno...

My current rig is an Athlon XP 2700+, 2x512mb of Corsair xms 270, an 80gb drive and a 9700pro with an artic jobby on it...Working fine with my 420W...**EDIT** Forgot to say its a Hiper 420W.

Rather save a "bit" of money this month if i can, or atleast till i flog my current rig to get a little bit of money for other things, like new hdd and Psu etc :S

Last edited:
gImp there is no way your system was stressing that PSU (assuming it was decent quality and was capable of delivering the rated 430W)

Going by my socket A systems I reckon you'd be drawing at most 160W full load at the wall, which is about 130W once you take PSU inefficiency out of the equation. 600W is hidiously OTT assuming it's not a "no name piece of rubbish" that only gives 600W at supercooled temps (chec the specs if it has any).

The fact is you want to buy a PSU that suits the power requirements of your PCs real needs as larger PSUs tend to be more inefficient at low loads.

Marc

Back
Top Bottom