• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is now a good time to be replacing a CPU and Mobo?

Associate
I have an aging platform (Intel 5960X) which is becoming increasingly tempermental to start, a few slots in the board have failed and its not a happy computer in general.

I waited for the new 10th Gen CPUs to be released and I was 50/50 on the results, im not a pure gamer as i use the computer for other things as well such as blender and paint programs and some VMs which i use for management or learning new skills.

I was considering a AMD 3950x but its an expensive CPU given the 4000 series is supposed to be releasing as some point (soon??).

So im at a cross roads, do i replace the PC components now, hoping that the 4950x is only marginally better, continue to wait and put up with my current PCs querks (not booting, memory issues, stuttering in games etc, and the very dodgy USB which seems to play up my VR headset and trackers)?

Any thoughts from the community?

My main games are mostly MMOs, VR, MHW, BDO + BnS and a FPS here and there.

Oh i dont play at 1080p i play generally on an ultrawide (3840 x 1600) so almost 4K (GPU is a 2080)

Thanks for your input :)

Associate
OP
Thanks all for your feedback so far, I know i touched on the AMD 3950x and my views on the Intel 10th Gen option, If i did consider an Intel chip at this point, can they be trusted to release a GEN4 capable chip with their next release.

Either way is seems this will be the last chip (4000 series) for AM4 and the penultimate chip for LGA1200 reading the tech news

Associate
OP
Ok thanks, i will wait for the XT's over the next few weeks, if they appear i will grab the 3900XT, if not i will grab the 3950x and a X570 board and call it a day. In terms of waterblocks, i generally buy EK, not had an AMD for a long time, does EK still make the best AMD waterblocks for X570?

Back
Top Bottom