1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is NVME worth it?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by Vidar, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Vidar

Mobster

So I've currently got a 500gb 950 (maybe 960) evo which is full and a 2tb spinning disc that's barely used any more and painfully slow for gaming off.

As I've just upgraded to a 9900k and a AORUS z390 master. I'm wondering if I'll see any benefits to jumping to nvme, especially as I'm doing a lot more gaming now.

2. ubersonic

Capodecina

Problem is this is a highly subjective question, only you can determine if it's worth it to you.

On paper NVMe is a colossal upgrade, over 2000MB reads compared to the 500MB of SATA3, however the reality is far less impressive. I got a 400GB NVMe drive when they first launched, and yes it is well over four times the transfer speed of my 480GB SATA3 Steam drive, and well over eight times the speed of my 480GB SATA2 Downloads/storage drive, however I only know that because it says so on the specs sheet and the benchmark apps.

As far as real world use goes, the SATA3-NVMe upgrade is far less noticeable than SATA2-SATA3 was, which in turn was less noticeable than HDD-SSD was.

Yes Windows does boot fractionally faster, yes games/applications do load faster but the difference over SATA3 isn't really that noticeable if at all in some cases. Depending on what you play it could even be worthless, I.E I can load into a World of Tanks or Heroes of the Storm match faster but that just means I get more of the countdown timer or have to spend longer waiting for other players to load lol.

3. MagicBoy

Capodecina

What ubersonic said.

4. 4K8KW10

Mobster

That is because you no longer touch the hard drive bottleneck, so the bottleneck in the system is transfered to other places, like the main memory and central processor.

If you go back to the bottleneck, you will see that colossal upgrade, if you will:

5. ubersonic

Capodecina

True but unless you sit around transferring DVD/BR .ISOs between drives for fun then it's still not something that will impact games. Hell it doesn't even make a perceivable difference to most workloads.

6. MagicBoy

Capodecina

Real world it's about a ~5% improvement on general game loading times from a SATA SSD. That's not colossal.

What would you do with that extra second you save loading Tomb Raider? :D

Video editing or running multiple VMs you'll see more benefit. Gaming, no.

7. chrcoluk

Wise Guy

game loading times are i/o and cpu constrained, once i/o hits a few hundred meg sec and above tho the cpu becomes the bottleneck so in most games if not all games, a nvme ssd vs a fast sata ssd you will not see a noticeable difference as seen in that youtube video.

For video editing and what not it may be a different story, but for a standard desktop/gaming user a sata ssd is good enough.

Add to that as well I think installing a nvme ssd in a built case is probably more hassle than sliding a ssd into a sata bay. Which will probably run cooler in that bay.