Is Physical Soon to be dead?

Soldato
So I was wondering this myself today, for pc gamers physical media died yonks ago

Consol is however still holding on. I own a PS5 disc edition and a Series S

However I was looking at some physical games today last of us part 2, new prince of Persia and there was a few quid a difference between both.

Went into a few shops Astro Bot was nowhere but shelf prices was £5 less than buying it from PS

Anyway long story short it made me think do I need to say bye to media now and just get over it and accept this physical media life is gone like we did on PC long ago.

I also cannot shake the feeling when it comes to PlayStation 6 and Xbox whatever dumb name they give it will NOT give us a physical option. Am I the only one who thinks this?

I think PS5 Pro is testing the water on this even with its high price. New Series X will have a digital version too again I think this is Microsoft taking a punt to see who picks up what.

A guy I work with is very much physical only so much so he has said if new gen is a digital era he is done. He is a massive physical collector so maybe not best example but if many took this view doesn’t help the future of gaming imo

Last edited:
This is the start of slide into subscription only gaming on consoles I feel.
Possibly which I think is Microsoft main goal with game pass.

Yes Sony has PS Plus but I don’t use it on my PS5 as I purely have it for the exclusives even then I don’t get them day one, I really want Stellar Blade but haven’t seen it drop much yet

Game Pass I do find however delivers more value than PS Plus imo so I have that.

I’ve never wanted digital only and I never did when pc went that way but it happened of course as noted there is more options for buying games on a pc to reduce the cost.

Sony and Microsoft unless have a sale on well your stuck with there store front and high cost.

This ultimately is it. Lure people in with value and convenience (netflix, gamepass), then pull the rug out from under them. Most have dumped their collections and bought into it, only to find lack of availability with shows or increased costs for what was previous commonly owned by all. They also have used this to bolster interest in remakes and reimaging of various media.

OP has a Series S, so unfortunately that's an example of voting with the wallet not working. As younger people have their eco systems normalised for always online, corporations that hold all the cards will continue to increase charges and remove access to previously purchased content.

The market will ultimately decide, but with a decrease in quality i feel, things might turnaround for better in the vastly long term with media. The portable market was dead, now it's thriving, so who knows.

I have little interest in online consoles with the current backwards compatibility libraries. The PS5 Pro opinions just echo the fact that consoles just aren't delivering anything better than PC, even convenience isn't there now.

The Switch every day looks to be a much better console than anything else out there imo.
I have a Series S as there is zero need for an X when I have a PS5 and PC.

My PC is good that has no disc drive either like the S.

The whole vote with your wallet logic is flawed, didn’t work when I kept buying disc drives for my PC until it was pointless to carry on.

Disc based PC games still vanished for anything new. Steam was the start and nail in the coffin for that.

That and various PC cases removing disc bays under fake claims to fit better cooling in, could cool more than good enough with them.

Consoles are doing similar antics, disc drive optional oh but it’s £100.

There is not a chance the PS5 disc drive costs even half that to make, so they will price the average joe out

If a parent buys there kids a discless consol there more likely due to convenience buy a digital game or gift card than a disc drive then a game.

These little things ensure us few who vote with a wallet will lose to the many many who don’t

Last edited:
There is certainly a push but as we saw with Alan Wake 2 it didn’t get anywhere near what they wanted so there now doing a physical release

Now that could be due to the game perhaps as it won’t be forever one.

I think some games of went for digital only release would do fine but it would be the usual annual releases that I only see coping with a full digital release e.g fifa, cods etc

Back
Top Bottom