Is Roy "Pretty Boy" Shaw Dead?

Soldato
I do apologise spoffle if I have caused offence to you. I wasn't attempting to troll or belittle you in the slightest.

It's okay, I didn't think you were trying to belittle me. At first I thought I was missing something and he was a majorly reformed criminal or something. :p

Permabanned
People claiming he's a nobody yet he's probably one of the hardest ******** in the underground fight scene and became a millionaire when he left prison.

I remember watching a program about the guy once.

Soldato
People claiming he's a nobody yet he's probably one of the hardest ******** in the underground fight scene and became a millionaire when he left prison.

I remember watching a program about the guy once.

Not knowing who some one is and them being a nobody aren't quite the same things. I do actually find people like him interesting just like Sigma and Robfosters, but since I had no idea of who he was when the thread was started, I didn't know I would find him interesting.

Also, I think people often confuse "hardness" with willingness to attack and beat the **** out of people.

Now I'm not saying this applies to that man, but remember school days where someone was considered "hard" simply because they were aggressive and would mouth off?

Permabanned
Not knowing who some one is and them being a nobody aren't quite the same things. I do actually find people like him interesting just like Sigma and Robfosters, but since I had no idea of who he was when the thread was started, I didn't know I would find him interesting.

Also, I think people often confuse "hardness" with willingness to attack and beat the **** out of people.

Now I'm not saying this applies to that man, but remember school days where someone was considered "hard" simply because they were aggressive and would mouth off?

No, In my school being hard was defined by winning fights. I don't know what world you're from when being agrresive and being able to shout is classed as hard.

Soldato
There's a lot of myths around these guys, sure they were hard men compared to your average schmoe, but not giants that rips out tree with their bare hands. They're mostly fat, failed and overweight boxers that roid themselves up to look hard and swing wildly at their opponents. Any semi skilled boxer would smash holes in them. David Haye would more than likely have killed both Shaw and Mclean in a boxing match. Obviously it'll be different on the 'cobbles' but Shaw and Mclean only ever fought in a boxing ring.

During my uni years I once fixed the Sky of Lennie's late wife, Valerie. Wonderful woman she was. Spend 3 hours just talking to her. It was a couple of years after his biography came out. Heard a lot about Len but couldn't help but feel she was painting him a bit more dangerous than he really was.

Lastly, in my job I meet quite a few nutters. Worked with someone who's family was quite famous around the old East End. I cannot remember his name for the life of me. He knew all the old 'faces' as his dad and grandad used to knock about with them. He also just laughed at the reputation these guys painted themselves to have in their books.

Nonetheless, very interesting men and their books are highly entertaining. :)

Soldato
Reading about Mad Frank makes me laugh. The old fool's claim to fame is having sampled most prisons in the UK, taking 42 years of his life away from him. Then according to his book he pretended to be insane, and then made that his selling point. 'Mad' Frank.

A different generation it was. Fascinating though. Whatever their faults where, these guys were real men in many aspects.

Soldato
No they never. Had loads of fights outside the ring. It's just that the money was inside it.

I guess we'll never know what type of money exchanged hands, both inside or out. I'm pretty sure you're looking at at least 10-20k a pop. Funny how Roy never mention the 3rd fight in his book. Iirc, he tried claiming it never happened.

Back
Top Bottom