Is Ryzen mobile really this bad?

Associate
I bought my new laptop from OCUK recently, has a 3550H and GTX1650 (and a 120hz screen).

I upgraded the ram to 16GB dual channel and a 1TB SSD for a solid "on the go" gaming machine, I'm not pushed about games graphic settings, but I absolultely need that high framerate!

So the machine runs COD and Apex Legends fine, as good as expected.....but enter CPU heavy titles, for example Battlefield 5. The game runs like a hog, framerate constantly dropping way below 60fps, often hovering around 45-50, stutters on bigger maps too. It's OK in 32 player mode.

I knew Ryzen wasn't AS good as Intel, but this performance is utterly horrible. It's the CPU constantly at high usage, but I really thought a 4c/8t processor would be fine for 60fps....I used to play the game on my "old" 6700HQ from a few years ago, that's 4c/8t, and it definitely ran better than this.

Only about 3 months old and already being forced to sell it and get a new one.....I'm actually gutted, what a waste of money.

Associate
I bought my new laptop from OCUK recently, has a 3550H and GTX1650 (and a 120hz screen).

I upgraded the ram to 16GB dual channel and a 1TB SSD for a solid "on the go" gaming machine, I'm not pushed about games graphic settings, but I absolultely need that high framerate!

So the machine runs COD and Apex Legends fine, as good as expected.....but enter CPU heavy titles, for example Battlefield 5. The game runs like a hog, framerate constantly dropping way below 60fps, often hovering around 45-50, stutters on bigger maps too. It's OK in 32 player mode.

I knew Ryzen wasn't AS good as Intel, but this performance is utterly horrible. It's the CPU constantly at high usage, but I really thought a 4c/8t processor would be fine for 60fps....I used to play the game on my "old" 6700HQ from a few years ago, that's 4c/8t, and it definitely ran better than this.

Only about 3 months old and already being forced to sell it and get a new one.....I'm actually gutted, what a waste of money.

How much research did you do prior to purchase to see if the machine would fit your needs?

Associate
OP
Very little mate to be honest. I just assumed being a 4c/8t Ryzen, it would be acceptable, especially when my old alienware was a 4c/8t i7-6700HQ from 2016 or whatever and it managed fine.

Most reviews said it was almost as fast as 9300H so took them at their word. (not that they were being untruthful, just not specifically testing CPU heavy games)

Wasn't expecting 100fps in games, but thought being able to hold 60fps wouldn't be much of an ask. I can't even play BFV due to the stutter and uneven frames. Playing Apex or COD is perfect on it though as they're not very CPU heavy.

Caporegime
From what I've seen high end laptops look to be an absolute minefield, even if you find them with good spec hardware there's TDP limits and cooling to consider. I've lost count how many reviews I've seen reporting throttling and even telling people to buy CPU's with fewer cores because the CPU's with more cores throttle to the point of being a waste of money.

TBH I would just avoid laptops if you're wanting to enjoy games without worrying about performance. By all means buy one for a bit of casual gaming but I think you'll have to spend a fortune and buy a concrete slab to be able to game at anywhere close to 120fps without worrying about throttling.

Last edited:
Associate
I had a laptop with the 3550H and now I have one with an i7 8750H. The i7 needed a serious undervolt to keep temps under control whereas the AMD just worked. I think for a casual gaming chip it is perfectly fine, the weak spot is the GTX 1650. It's not a bad GPU as my laptop also came with one but it will need the settings to be turned down for new games. It's a medium settings card.

Associate
OP
The GTX1650 is actually fine. I don't mind at all playing at low settings because games look grand for the most part at low-medium. It just annoys me no end that the CPU cannot hold 60fps in anything CPU heavy and drops as low as 30-40fps in Battlefield constantly. In some maps it hovers around 50fps at best.

I plan selling it, and getting a new one with a better CPU and same GPU. The GTX1650 itself is perfectly fine for my needs. All I ever really play on it is Apex, COD and Battlefield.

Associate
If you look at reviews of the 3550H and GTX1650 they do suggest that they can hold 60fps on battlefield so not sure why you're having problems. I never ran battlefield on it so can't personally comment.

Back
Top Bottom