• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the 3090 a 'waste' for gaming?

Associate
Hi guys, long time no post. Like a lot of people I'm at the end of my tether in regards to picking up an new Graphics Card. I've missed out on a 3080/3070/3060ti lol. The queues to get one seem to be into the months rather than weeks as well :(

This has led me to consider the 3090 as they are the only cards I ever see in stock. Most of the reviews I've read show these are only 10/15% faster than a 3080.

So am I being stupid even considering these? Is the 3080 stock situation going to improve?

Associate
OP
Oh I know it's stupid, I kind of made this post for people to confirm with me it's stupid lol.

I also didn't realise that overclockers hasn't actually released any of their 3060ti cards yet (i assumed they sold out), so I may just hang on and see if I can get one of those when they do.

Associate
OP
I can afford it, although it'll come out of my 'hobby' budget. If I get a 3090 I'll be passing up on a new handgun for a while. Which I'm not too annoyed about as my range is still closed due to our current lockdowns.

I've decided to hold on and see if I can get a 3060ti today as that should provide a good jump in performance from my 980ti for not too large a cost. I can then transfer that to my other older rig if/when I'm able to get a 3080 at normal prices OR wait a few more days as somebody in this thread suggested and try my luck with the 6900xt.

If all that fails, it may be 3090 time :)

So thanks to everyone that's replied with their opinions and experiences!

Associate
OP
Same boat as OP, stuck on a 980ti. I did consider buying last gen hardware, but I'm loath to pay the prices that are being asked, which afaics appear to have gone up rather than down since Sept 17th. Have been tempted by the odd 3090 I've seen in stock around the web lately, but It'd be hard for me to justify the expense with she who must be obeyed (just as well really). That and paying the insane premium will only encourage further price gouging in the future. Having seen how some retailers (mentioning no names) have exploited this whole situation, I shall be considering very carefully who gets my money when something I actually want to buy becomes available.

I've been through exactly the same thought process lol. I agree the older stuff has gone up in price since this started and I'm kind of loathed to pay more for say a 2080ti than a 3080 would cost.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The saga has ended thanks to a nice guy in my local town. He'd ordered a 3080 a month ago, though it wasn't coming and he managed to pick up another, only for the first to ship the next day lol

Sold it to me for what it cost him. So just goes to show there are still decent people out there when it comes to these cards!

Back
Top Bottom