Is the AppleTV 4K worth it still?

Soldato
The 4K unit came out 2 years ago now but with NowTV and Prime video both barely working on my TV I'm tempted to just treat myself to an Apple TV and just be done with it.

Any users of them here recommend them?

Soldato
The 4K unit came out 2 years ago now but with NowTV and Prime video both barely working on my TV I'm tempted to just treat myself to an Apple TV and just be done with it.

Any users of them here recommend them?
How many movies do you have in your iTunes library? It's a great box but overkill for Nowtv and Amazon Prime. Nowtv will only be 720p too.

Soldato
I've got 2. They've been very solid, quiet and very powerful. tvOS 13 is gonna be a big improvement as well and make them into sort of mini games consoles capable of connecting to PS4/Xbox One S/X controllers.

They'll be receiving updates for a long time so will stay relevant for quite some time when it comes to app updates and a smooth experience.

Soldato
OP
How many movies do you have in your iTunes library? It's a great box but overkill for Nowtv and Amazon Prime. Nowtv will only be 720p too.

i don’t have any, so was thinking of just getting the 32gb model as I’ll be using it for Netflix, Prime and NowTV. Currently neither NowTV or the Prime apps are working on my tv. I can’t remember for definite but I felt like the AppleTV supported all of the apps whereas one or two were missing from a Firestick/Chromecast. I’ll need to double check that.

I’m not against buying/renting movies if it’s fairly priced

Soldato
i don’t have any, so was thinking of just getting the 32gb model as I’ll be using it for Netflix, Prime and NowTV. Currently neither NowTV or the Prime apps are working on my tv. I can’t remember for definite but I felt like the AppleTV supported all of the apps whereas one or two were missing from a Firestick/Chromecast. I’ll need to double check that.

I’m not against buying/renting movies if it’s fairly priced
The internal storage isn't tied to your library, only if you download apps and games so the 32GB is the better buy. Why not invest in a new smart TV?

Soldato
OP
The internal storage isn't tied to your library, only if you download apps and games so the 32GB is the better buy. Why not invest in a new smart TV?
Ah but if you buy movies do you just stream those also?

cause a £180 box is cheaper than a new TV lol. Though if I had my way we’d upgrade the tv :p it’s annoying that it’s only the Prime and NowTv apps causing issues especially as NowTV costs me about £50 a month. All the other apps on the tv work perfectly

Soldato
Picking one up today 2nd hand, I'll let you know how it is, I'll be using it as a homehub for homekit and also its going to replace my amazon fire stick and chromecast, so its worth it for me as homehub also in constant use.

Soldato
Got one the other day from the MM, I have to say I was impressed by it. Its for my dad as hes just got a new TV and the LG WebOS is a bit rubbish. He is fully in the Apple ecosystem so everything really does "just work" he was able to view all his icloud photos and everything straight away. Got him setup on Netflix, Amazon Prime, iPlayer, Plex and so forth, all really smooth and nice to interact with the remote. He has a chromecast that still works well and I have one myself but for my parents the remote and familiar nature of the OS makes my life easier :p

I did consider the Roku and the FireStick 4k but with the price I paid for the ATV it was worth that bit extra. Paying full price for it would be a tougher choice compared with the competition but it really is a great bit of kit and the new OS should make things better. Id say try and get a refurb or second hand to save yourself that little bit extra but you wont be disappointed if you get one at any price.

Soldato
Just plugged my brand new 4k hdr 64gb model in - bargain at £120, blown away to be honest, just tried it on my parents 4k hdr set with 4:2:2 colour enabled and the image quality is immense, also its SO fast, the LG's built in tv menu's work but its not exactly speedy, the apple TV blows it all away with ease , loving the integration with my phone etc, and also it will be a home hub now for home kit.

Win win really, defo smoother and faster than anything else iv used recently and puts amazon and google stuff to shame.

Soldato
OP
You certainly did get a good deal on that! Though I am already impressed. I liked this morning I switched the TV on with the remote, told it to play BBC 1 and in seconds I was watching the news!

Soldato
You certainly did get a good deal on that! Though I am already impressed. I liked this morning I switched the TV on with the remote, told it to play BBC 1 and in seconds I was watching the news!

Unfortunate news about the propoganda channel :p:p

But awesome news otherwise it's working so well!! I don't have a live TV so how does that all work with regards to live telly? I'm using mine for netflix/prime/youtube/homehub.

Soldato
I use a Chromecast Ultra which supports streaming on both and it will also come in handy if I sign up to Stadia as I'll only need to purchase a controller.

Soldato
OP
Unfortunate news about the propoganda channel :p:p

But awesome news otherwise it's working so well!! I don't have a live TV so how does that all work with regards to live telly? I'm using mine for netflix/prime/youtube/homehub.

aha I don’t have many options for news and o just like to have it on in the background.

well I don’t have traditional TV due to my situation (which is why I’ve gone crazy and have all the NowTV passes apart from Hayu and Kids, prime and a Netflix 4K sub) but we have a TV license.

So my only experience with live TV is with the iPlayer and ITV on demand apps. It works really well with BBC iPlayer from any menu just ask it to play a channel and it will go straight to it, very quickly. It’s a shame the NowTV app is awful. It’s infinitely worse than the one on my TV except it actually works at the moment. If it was updated and worked with the Siri commands it would’ve been brilliant.

something I didn’t like, and I guess it’s a problem with BBC more than the AppleTV. I’m unable to watch my regional news on it as BBC don’t broadcast that in HD and the AppleTV seems to only pull the HD channel.

Already liking the fact I now have Apple Music on my TV which has now given me extra arguing ability that we need to get the soundbar I’ve been eyeing up for a while

Soldato
Just plugged my brand new 4k hdr 64gb model in - bargain at £120, blown away to be honest, just tried it on my parents 4k hdr set with 4:2:2 colour enabled and the image quality is immense, also its SO fast, the LG's built in tv menu's work but its not exactly speedy, the apple TV blows it all away with ease , loving the integration with my phone etc, and also it will be a home hub now for home kit.

Win win really, defo smoother and faster than anything else iv used recently and puts amazon and google stuff to shame.

I got one earlier in the year, I was also very impressed with how speedy the thing is, its actually faster to power the APTV up and switch inputs than it is using the inbuilt apps on my LG B6. I do also use a harmony remote which helps though, Netflix loads and streams instantly as well.

Only really use it for Netflix currently so quite an outlay for just that use, but I love it.

Back
Top Bottom