Is the snake oil slowly retreating from the Hi-Fi industry?

Soldato
As the move to "digital" is almost complete and interconnects become obsolete with a generation using wireless for everything, has the hi-fi industry been forced to become more "honest"?

I feel "bang for buck" is now better than it ever has been for Hi-Fi equipment.

Soldato
OP
Guys, everyone knows that the Gucci belt wearers of HiFi don't just stop at super. They go MEGA. Or MEGA++.

I seriously doubt the sanity of any person who buys any of their plugs.

In their September 2009 issue, Hi-Fi Choice magazine agreed that the Mini Purifier really does make a significant improvement in mains noise reduction. They found “remarkably consistent” results across the wide range of kit they tested the Mini Purifier on, noting that sounds were “generally clearer and better defined” and, more importantly, rhythm is “more precise and convincing”.

For anyone wondering whether the difference achieved by the Mini Purifier will add anything more than good quality cables already do, they state that the “differences are qualitatively different from cable changes”. “The sound seems to acquire an extra delicacy and refinement, as if some rather rough-sounding distortion has been removed”.

In addition to mains noise, The Mini Purifier also deals with spikes and surges on the mains via its internal Superclamp (which can be upgraded to the Megaclamp for even more protection). HI-FI CHOICE notes that this “provides very rapid reaction to over-voltage spikes on the mains, adding to the general high-frequency filtering provided by the capacitors also included”.

Overall, they were very impressed with the results, summing up by saying that “just plugging a little box in near your hi-fi may sound like magic but the theory holds water and the results speak for themselves”.

Magazine: Hi-Fi Choice
Issue: September 2009
Verdict: 4 Stars

IN YOUR FACE.

LOL

Soldato
OP
I no longer mock people for (imo) overpriced cables/power supplies/widgets or tech in general anymore. After trying and failing to convince my wife that my more expensive Dali floorstanders sounded 'head and shoulders' better than my old KEFs. 'But surely you can hear the difference? ' I heard myself say smugly, as her eyes glazed over. At that point I knew it was I that sounded like the crazy person in the room.

We all do it, whether it be Hifi, computer components, watches or whatever. Sometimes we just want nice things. Eye of the beholder and all that.

https://www.russandrews.com/13a-superfuse-mains-plug-fuse-single/

You would not mock someone for buying one of those?

Soldato
OP
You mean like this: https://www.artisansilvercables.co.uk/network ?

Only £800 for a "silver" 4.5m cable.

This isn't even the most expensive one I've seen.

Then there's the £350 headphone cables, which is more expensive than some of the headphones people plug them into. I saw a guy on Head-Fi awhile back who spent that much for cables he was plugging into some HD600's he'd bought for £250.

All of these measures add up to as near to bit-perfect, ultra-low-jitter replay as possible.

The result?

Music simply becomes more vivid and real sounding. Ultra-pure transparent music, packed with every bit of low-level detail, superior tonal accuracy, timing and dynamics.

I am sold.

Back
Top Bottom