• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is there a sweet spot for rtx 3090

Associate
Hi,

I've been lucky enough to grab a 3090 in a recent drop. Currently have Ryzen 7 3700x processor which is reasonable (or felt like it when I brought it a while back), to go in x570 aorus pro WiFi board with m.2 and 16Gb ram. I'm sure there have been some CPU releases since then so just a quick ask to see opinion on whether it's "good enough". Realise this is a bit of an open question depending on games (I play a variety - have been PlayStation bound waiting for gpu availability for some time!), and will be using with an odyssey g9 when I can afford it..(re-reading and feeling spoilt)

Anyway the point/question being - what is the current sweet spot for CPU to minimise bottlenecks (can't afford the super high end)...

Caporegime
Do you have a Budget? Ryzen 5800X (8 core 16 thread) is around £380 now, Ryzen 5900X is around £460 (12 cores 24 threads) both are the best gaming CPU's but the later is extra monstrous if you do other stuff too.

Associate
OP
5800x sounds like the comfort zone. I'm going to be using for work during the day, then gaming the rest of the time.

5900x may be worth for work if it removes bottlenecks, but may push back the monitor purchase.

I'll see what I can get away with - thanks that's really helpful! Cheers

Thats perfect thanks - just what I needed.

Man of Honour
I ran a 3090 with a 2700X for a week. It was definitely CPU limited at 1440p, surprisingly so as I thought my processor was quite decent. The 3700X has better IPC but not enough to overcome the bottleneck. For a 3090 you really need a high end 5000 series (or Intel).
5900X would be a great replacement but sadly it's just gone up by £30 in price, given what you've said about not being able to afford super high end then 5600x is probably the best options. Bit of a kick in the teeth dropping from 8 cores to 6 though even though it should perform similarly even in heavily threaded apps.

Soldato
Hi,

I've been lucky enough to grab a 3090 in a recent drop. Currently have Ryzen 7 3700x processor which is reasonable (or felt like it when I brought it a while back), to go in x570 aorus pro WiFi board with m.2 and 16Gb ram. I'm sure there have been some CPU releases since then so just a quick ask to see opinion on whether it's "good enough". Realise this is a bit of an open question depending on games (I play a variety - have been PlayStation bound waiting for gpu availability for some time!), and will be using with an odyssey g9 when I can afford it..(re-reading and feeling spoilt)

Anyway the point/question being - what is the current sweet spot for CPU to minimise bottlenecks (can't afford the super high end)...
Spend your cash on the G9 as a top priority since at a resolution of 5120x1440p upgrading the CPU will make no difference.

Associate
Hi,

Ryzen 5900 if your going to be using it for gaming and productive

Soldato
Spend your cash on the G9 as a top priority since at a resolution of 5120x1440p upgrading the CPU will make no difference.

^...THIS 100%... gaming at 5120x1440 or 4K you will be GPU limited not CPU limited so get the monitor now and later save some money and update CPU if you really need to, but as you will see it will make no difference for games at them resolutions. Also another 16GB RAM will be a good upgrade as some new games make use of 32GB in a system.

@danielpugh

Associate
OP
Great advice - thanks.
I have been lusting after a g9 for a long time. Only fly in the ointment is a new version coming soon with miniled backlight, which may wait for even if only because it will trigger a price drop, and thinking it's imminent..

Definitely getting RAM, and fingers crossed on cheaper CPU at some point depending on results...
Gpu arriving today - feels like it's been a long wait!

Associate
I went with a 5900x and 32GB of team group dark pro 3600mhz CL16 ram. For me that was the sweat spot.
If your not looking to spend as much on a CPU then you can’t go wrong with a 5800x

Back
Top Bottom