Is there a way to switch users (including login) via scripts or app?

Soldato
Hi

For context I use a pc for the kids to game on that is not accessible for them. They have separate profiles for their minecraft accounts and need to switch between accounts to play. We use Steam Link / Parsec to remote stream the content to the TV but Steam link only works on the logged in profile but Parsec remains active across users as long as they're not logged out.

I currently have the PC set to autologin to one of the accounts but I'd like to know if there is a method for effectively switching a user and logging it in that effectively changes the windows instance as if it you had hit the switch user button on the start menu.

if UWP apps could use the runas command it wouldn't need to be this way but UWP apps are sandboxed so switching profiles is necessary... I use splashtop on the client device to do this but it would be easier to have it logged in firstly.

Are there any apps that can do this that I schedule in task scheduler?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Nope but thanks; effectively I need software or scripts that can, upon autologging in of a default user, switch to a new user and login using a stored password.. Its annoying that UWP apps cannot be run as other users as that would solve my problem as its only Minecraft that requires a separate profile but alas UWP is built this way.

Soldato
Nope but thanks; effectively I need software or scripts that can, upon autologging in of a default user, switch to a new user and login using a stored password.. Its annoying that UWP apps cannot be run as other users as that would solve my problem as its only Minecraft that requires a separate profile but alas UWP is built this way.
Don't worry, UWP is dying.

You could create a powershell script that runs at log on and perhaps uses the user switch context to do what you want.

Soldato
OP
Don't worry, UWP is dying.

You could create a powershell script that runs at log on and perhaps uses the user switch context to do what you want.

That was the thinking, unfortunately I can't find the commands to switch user & login; I have windows 10 pro on the machines so have access to TSdiscon but I'm not sure if you can feed it command lines to switch and login.

Back
Top Bottom