is there a way to test a psu ?

T C

T C

Associate
my pc is dead , it was turned off one day and never came back on again , the mobo is an asus a8n-sli deluxe which should have some leds on, at least even when not turned on but there is nothing , tried cheapest option new kettle lead and same difference :( so it looks like a psu but i dont want to pay £60 for a psu to find i then have to buy a mobo as well, so is there a way to test the psu ?

You can manually start a PSU by shorting the PS_ON (green/grey) pin (pin 14 in the standard 20 pin ATX Connector) with one of the GND wires next to it (black). It should say on a label on the PSU which pin is what, shorting the two out with a piece of wire should trigger the power supply to turn on - you should see the fan going.

My Psu gives some power to the mobo as my Usb router idle light is on however I click the button for my pc, and nothing :( Got a courier picking it up tomorrow, for RMA

RobH said:
You can manually start a PSU by shorting the PS_ON (green/grey) pin (pin 14 in the standard 20 pin ATX Connector) with one of the GND wires next to it (black). It should say on a label on the PSU which pin is what, shorting the two out with a piece of wire should trigger the power supply to turn on - you should see the fan going.

will try that thanks

You would wise to put a small load on it. Some of them don't like starting open ended. Stick a fan on a molex. If its expensive or your planning on running it for any length of time make sure you have a load on each rail. Or you could kill it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom