Is there an issue in having a centre speaker inside your media unit?

Soldato
I'm thinking about getting a media unit made and am just spitballing ideas.
One of the layouts will be similar to below but instead of three drawers along the bottom it'll be just 1 pull out drawer in the middle and two pull down doors (that look like drawers) on either side.
The top section will be approx. 250mm high allow me to put my PS5 & Amp but I'd also hopefully like to put a centre speaker in the centre as well.
Amp and speaker are around 170mm high so plenty of space.

VXMdxlL.png

Man of Honour
Recording studios build speakers into walls. With the right kind of speaker - either infinite baffle (closed box) or front ported - it's one of the best ways to optimise speaker performance. It turns the speaker into a better infinite baffle.

The speaker needs to be level with the front face of the wall and very well supported. They get blocked in with slab foam that helps damp the cabinet vibrations. If you're going to do this at home then you need to follow the same plan.

Soldato
OP
Do a frequency response test inside and outside the cabinet, see how badly it's effected.

Also bring your speakers forward a bit.

I haven't got a cabinet yet, I'm planning on getting one built but it'll look similar to the one above.
Cheers for the link, I'll have a read through
Recording studios build speakers into walls. With the right kind of speaker - either infinite baffle (closed box) or front ported - it's one of the best ways to optimise speaker performance. It turns the speaker into a better infinite baffle.

The speaker needs to be level with the front face of the wall and very well supported. They get blocked in with slab foam that helps damp the cabinet vibrations. If you're going to do this at home then you need to follow the same plan.
I've got a Monitor Audio Bronze centre speaker, on Richer Sounds it says "Base Alignment = Sealed Cabinet", but it's definitely got a large hole at the back.
I assume that means it's rear ported

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've got a Monitor Audio Bronze centre speaker, on Richer Sounds it says "Base Alignment = Sealed Cabinet", but it's definitely got a large hole at the back. I assume that means it's rear ported

AFIAK, all of the Bronze series centre speakers going right back to the Bronze BR range from 2007/2008-ish appear to have been sealed boxes. There's a recess that houses the speaker terminals. Are you mistaking that for a bass port?

Soldato
OP
AFIAK, all of the Bronze series centre speakers going right back to the Bronze BR range from 2007/2008-ish appear to have been sealed boxes. There's a recess that houses the speaker terminals. Are you mistaking that for a bass port?
Stupidly I might have been confusing it with the floor standers.
They're all packed up at the moment, I just remembered one of the speakers had a large hole at the back

Back
Top Bottom