Is this a template design?

Associate
I was handed a business card today and I took a look at the guys website which I quite liked the look of. But I am thinking it is based on a template looking at the code as the code is full of comments. Anyway the website is here:

http://www.baird-design.co.uk/

I google'd the comments and it shows up with lots of Dreamweaver posts so I'm assuming this is a template from DW?

Soldato
Not sure that it's a template, but looking at things like the embedded CSS and the hover-state handling I'd say it's almost certainly from DW's design view.

The guy's clearly a competent graphic designer. He's not a web designer, however.

At least, not one I'd hire for a website, if that's what he's touting.

edit: His portfolio example website was done in DW, judging by the local URLs in the screenshots [who deliberately names their project folders 'Unnamed Site 2' ?! :D] I should cut him some slack, really - I started my own web design career using DW. Admittedly, that was 1998...

Last edited:
Soldato
Disclaimer: I'm not a web designer but I do play with it for my own site and to learn at the same time. I don't think I am good enough to offer it as a service, although having seen some web design company websites I do wonder about that at times lol.

To me that looks like it's unlikely to be a web designers work (codes too messy) or even a modern template, the image hover javascript is very much like the auto code from golive/dreamweaver.

You can get some very similar looking templates though as the 'grid image layout' is pretty popular - wordpress themes

Associate
Hmm there's a ton of HTML5 stuff in there, then a load of tables for layout! The styles are all in the header rather than a separate style sheet which is daft.
Avoid replicating, there's much better stuff out there.

Associate
I noticed the table for the homepage layout, not a good practice. Tables are for data presentation...not layout.

Even if it is a template, anyone who knows HTML & CSS could put that together in a matter of a few hours or, there's much better templates to buy out there for $20 - $50.

Associate
OP
Yeah I can see the code is pretty lowsy, I was just wondering if anyone recognised the layout as a known pre made template from DW or similar. I'll try replicating it with proper code :)

DcD

DcD

Associate
Growing very tired of the fashionable default 80% opacity on every image and title on websites now. If you fade out all the content on a page it all becomes the same level of heirarchy...

Back
Top Bottom