Is this a worthwhile upgrade?

Associate
Cash is very limited at the moment, but I'm itchin to upgrade.

Currently I've got:

2500+ XP at 3200 speeds
Gig of Geil (mix of value + Golden)
Dodgy Gigabyte motherboard
Leadtek 6800nu
Akasa 400w PaxPower
Hyundai ImageQuest Q17+

and all the other bits :)

I mainly use my machine for gaming.

As a cheap upgrade option I've found an opty 144 and 7800GTX at very good prices and a Asus A8N-SLi SE nForce4 from a lad at work. The lot would come to just over £300.

I could flog the 6800 and barton and probably get around £120 for them both so it would work out a very very cheap upgrade.

I run everything at native res 1280 x 1024 and with it being a TFT I can't stand the screen tear so run V-synch. I should be able to ramp up the eye candy in most games with the 7800gtx.

I know the GFX card will be a huge step up, but what about the opty and motherboard ? Would they be ok with my current ram (I could always sell them and get a matched gig) Even if the 144 only clocks to 2GHz (but hopefully higher) would I see a nice boost in games and be able to sustain a steadyish FPS ?

Man of Honour
short answer - Yes.. you will notice a big perfromance leap and the opt is a very good Oc'er too.. Should last you a few more years and you have taken the plunge to PCI-E, which is always a tough one to over come. Go for it. :).. THe PSU you have should be ok, but you might want to invest in a better PCI-E compatiable PSU to make things stable. Seasonic is a good buy IMO.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd expect you to get a little closer to £100 for the Barton and 6800nu but it will still be a cheap and very worthwhile upgrade :)

The PSU ought to be fine as mentioned, is it an ATX 2.0 compliant model already?

Back
Top Bottom