Is this any good? (Bike Related)

Associate
So, a little while ago I decided to buy a bike and went for THIS one... After vouchers, etc I paid £159, which I thought was pretty reasonable!

However, delivery day comes around and they've sent me a different bike! After ringing up, they tell me the other one is out of stock, so they sent this one as a replacement (Nice of them to ask me first eh?!) Anyway, THIS is the substitution bike, and it looks better.. And worth a bit more! Any opinions on the bike, and the reputation of MuddyFox as a bike company? Tbh I'm not into bikes at all, I just want something I can go out with friends on and have a laugh whilst getting some exercise :) I can send the bike back if I want to as it's still in the box it was delivered in, but just wanted some advice first.

Cheers guys!

Associate
I'm not very big on mountain bikes, more of a road bike myself but it seems ok. If it doesn't have a specific, important use then I'm sure it'll be fine, it's a nice bike ;)

Associate
It's better than the one you ordered but it won't stand up to much "proper" mtb'ing. However if you're not riding properly rough & technical stuff then it'll do the job fine.

Soldato
q: Is this any good? (Bike Related)
a: Depends on what you want to use it for.

Let's put it into perspective for you, given that this is your photoblog http://adamsphotodump.tumblr.com/

You have bought a disposable camera of the MTB world.
golddisposablecameras.JPG

It will take pictures, however you wont find a professional or hobbyist photographer going out with one to take landscapes/wedding pics etc. Some of the gen pop will be happy with the outcome of the pics - sure.

Question is whether you are one of the gen pop who will be happy with it?

Associate
when yuor wheels bearing fall apart after 2 months and you find you need to replace the full wheel because no one stocks taiwanese threaded axles in 9mm, then and only then will you realize the true power of a muddy fox.....

you ve basically just bought a 16gb hard drive to use in a modern day machine to give another example of the usefullness of the bike.

Soldato
q: Is this any good? (Bike Related)
a: Depends on what you want to use it for.

Let's put it into perspective for you, given that this is your photoblog http://adamsphotodump.tumblr.com/

You have bought a disposable camera of the MTB world.
golddisposablecameras.JPG

It will take pictures, however you wont find a professional or hobbyist photographer going out with one to take landscapes/wedding pics etc. Some of the gen pop will be happy with the outcome of the pics - sure.

Question is whether you are one of the gen pop who will be happy with it?

Harsh but so true.

Soldato
Hah, fantastic! Not the answers I was hoping for, but hey, the truth is better I guess!

Thanks for the advice guys :)

ignore the naysayers,

So they have sent you a Voltage instead of the Mayhem. That is a bargain for that £159 and there is no way you would get close to that spec for the money. You would also be scraping the barrel on the second hand bikes at this price range too.

That bike would be £400+ in other brands as well (rrp £500-600 on the Voltage) with the fork and alivio group set this year as prices have gone up with specs coming down.

I looked recently at budget bikes around the £300-£500 mark and you have done well here.

Ref the typical Muddy Fox quality comments, if the hubs fail you can buy a replacement wheel for £30 upwards for a reasonable one. They are not that bad at this level, much like carrera and saracen bikes, cheapies are cheap and the more expensive models are pretty competent.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, a little while ago I decided to buy a bike and went for THIS one... After vouchers, etc I paid £159, which I thought was pretty reasonable!

I think you've got yourself a cracking bargain there!

It's an ideal bike to get started on, learn some riding skills and build up some fitness, experiment a little with different tyres and find how a hardtail MTB rides in different conditions wet/dry, and maybe learn some bike maintenance as well.

If you get the MTB bug, then you'll be likely to want to look into something more expensive/capable in a while, but you could always keep this as a transport/fitness type bike.

The most important thing - Get out and get riding! :p :D

Back
Top Bottom