Is this cartoon anti semetic?

Permabanned
14kgoye.jpg

The cartoon was published in The Times.

The BBC has an article here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21239917

Is it anti-semitic or is it merely satirising the issues between the Israelis and Palestinians?

Soldato
I don't think it is. It's satirising the actions of a politician/state, if it had a star of David or depicted a hasidic Jew or some other typical Jewish iconography then I'd agree.

The problem is Israel and the Jewish faith are so intertwined it's difficult to criticise one without being accused of criticising the other.

Soldato
No by any reasonable definition it is not anti-semitic but in todays world few are reasonable. There was a very amusing debate about it on the Radio 4 breakfast show at about 8:20 this morning if anyone fancies a listen, it got quite nasty bettween a Cartoonist and a man representing the outraged.

Soldato
Cartoons not anti anything the message is in the eye of the beholder.

If anything IMO it could be construed as anti-israeli or anti-zionist but anti-semitic no.

anti semitic, discriminates against or who is hostile toward or prejudiced against Jews.

This is aimed at the policies of the israeli state, not at jews.

Soldato
It's not anti-semitic it is anti Israeli foreign policy. Anyone who can't see the difference needs to have their brain examined.

Permabanned
My grandfather died at Auschwitz but I don't find that joke offensive.

Admittedly he was drunk and fell out of a watchtower, breaking his neck. Nasty business. :(

Soldato
A lot of people, rightly or wrongly, consider anti-Israel and Antisemitism to be one and the same.

I can't see how that viewpoint could be right in any way. If someone disagrees with the ideals or the actions of Ireland we don't assume they're being anti-catholic.

It's best to ignore fools that are blinkered by brain-washing in such a manner. Unfortunately in this case they haven't been.

Soldato
Yeah thats not anti-semetic because the message of the cartoon isn't "all jews are wall building murderers"...

Ani-semitic = bad message about all jews

One jewish person trying to be almost genocidal towards an ethnic group = something that should be talked about and subject to satire...

Soldato

Just read the article. Not being funny but how long are some Jewish people going to play the holocaust card? It was a human tragedy the likes of which we should do everything to prevent happening again and a shameful episode in human history BUT you can't keep bringing it out as a trump card in debates that have nothing to do with it.

Basically the argument in the article seems to be no negative criticism of Israel can be made on 27th January (even though 2013 Israeli Government policy and the holocaust are two completely separate issues).

Back
Top Bottom