Is this commercial van allowed to be parked residentially?

Soldato
because resedential streets are not suppose to have commercial vehicles parked in them overnight

This is what I don't know. It would have to be over a certain weight, length or height wouldn't it to not be allowed to park residentially? I'd love to be able to get the council to stop it because I really have no time for large van owners parking in my street. Take it back to a depot and bring a sensible sized car home. These people are such selfish morons. Two cars could park in the same space taken up by this idiotic van.

*that'll get the precious van owners here going :p*

Yes unfortunately it is perfectly fine, the only vehicle that isn't is a HGV. I checked with the local council when there was three really big cherry pickers were regularly taking up the limited residential parking.

because resedential streets are not suppose to have commercial vehicles parked in them overnight

My understanding is that any vehicle which can be driven on a standard driving licence can be parked in a residential area. Any restrictions only apply to vehicles which require HGV or PSV licences, and may not even then. Any issue would (I believe) come down to nuisance or obstruction under those circumstances, not the fact it was a commercial vehicle. How would people who ONLY have a company commercial vehicle get home if this wasn't true? There may be rules about more than one such vehicle per household, but I don't know. Just because you don't like what parks in your street is seldom a good reason for banning it.

Oh - and sarcastic rejoiners are part of the weft of OcUK, and why we love it so much.

Last edited:
Where you can park an HGV is restricted by your 'O' licence.

As in the vehicles base of operations must satisfy certain criteria one of which is a yard to park it in when it's finished work. A one man band can run one from home providing he somewhere off the road to park it, and further to that it doesn't break any local by laws about commercial vehicles being parked in the area.

You'd be upset if somebody did keep parking a commercial in a street overnight, a transit Luton is far from a commercial.

How do people view us truckers who park overnight in your area I wonder? - Merlins thread has got me thinking....

I've parked overnight in residential streets many times over the years. :o

Sometimes, it's been because its the nearest I can get to my delivery point for the following morning,or often, it could be because I'm almost out of driving / duty hours and its been the only remotely suitable parking place before my time is up.

I've Parked in Finchley in the past too (sorry mate! :o) Homebase springs to mind? may be wrong on that though....

Whilst I've had a few discussions with both residents and authorities over the years, I've never been moved on as I've been parked correctly.

If there is no specific sign banning large vehicles, no double yellows & enough room, sometimes,and certainly not if I can help it, alas, it's my home for the night.

The "friendly banter" one often has with residents can brighten up an otherwise dull evening. ;)

Had plenty of parking tickets whilst delivering over the years,but none (yet) for choice of overnight parking place.....

in my experience truckers are very curtious parkers. Where i used to live as a kid had a few park over they years and 90% of them would knock on and ask if they were causing a problem parking outside the house.

Back
Top Bottom