Is this OLED screen-burn worth bothering about?

Soldato
I've been really careful with my LG 55E6 for over a year & surprisingly video gaming hasn't affected it & I don't watch normal TV anyway.
However, the native YouTube app has caused some very minor burn-in from the red logo at the top left which I didn't know existed until trying a magenta test image. Interestingly, the YouTube app has a 2minute screensaver, so the burn-in must be from when taking the time to choose a video or the repetitive exposure to the same static image. I never thought that just the colour of this logo would cause screen-burn & have always been careful not to allow High contrast static images to persist on the panel.
I've always used extra bright room (100% OLED light) as these TV's are not very bright or dark room picture settings.
The TV has a really good 5% grey too so it's deffo a keeper.

I reckon app makers should make specific OLED friendly apps, especially considering the increasing popularity of OLED TV's now. An OLED app should have no hard contrast edges or hard colour shifts as with the YouTube logo, perhaps blur any hard edges or reduce the contrast of the UI?

I don't think this burn-in is impacting my viewing pleasure as it can't be seen normally + where it is, so I'm not going to do anything about it for now. Plus LG no longer make 3D panels & any replacement panel would have no 3D, although be 10% brighter due to having no polarizing filter, but won't be able take advantage of newer TV tone mapping abilities as its still run by the same hardware. LG no longer make 3D panels! This is such a shame as the passive 3D on OLED is awesome.
I've been a paying £7/month service plan with Currys but doubt they'd go as far as a cash replacement (due to losing 3D).

What do you good folks think?
I now watch YouTube in the dark room setting to try & reduce any further damage, but think this burn-in is just going to get worse as I watch a lot of YouTube with having the premium version with music -highly recommended!

30xih4z.jpg

313243d.jpg

2chu7i0.jpg

Soldato
so have you run some cleaning cycles ..... ALTHOUGH I would not necessarily start doing that without maybe contacting vendor/LG first ?

Have you tried the rtings test patterns too and maybe capture some evidential snaps.

it would be interesting to know if the logo recognition functionality on new set identifies the utube play button

[theres an earlier thread that outlines a return strategy .. based on there being a manufacturing defect .. if you decide on that route]

Soldato
OP
I presume the TV runs its own cleaning cycle every night after switching off as I leave it plugged in. I'm going force a manual clean now, also look at rtings test patterns, thanks.
Static image recognition does sound like an awesome feature for OLED, has anyone got a newer OLED TV to prove this? Imagine it when playing video games though... arrgh where's my health bar! Haha
I fear though that every OLED TV in the World is being damaged by the YouTube app? Maybe external devices could have an OLED setting to make static images less damaging to OLED's?
It would be a shame to return this TV & lose 3D as I've built up a nice collection of 3D discs. If even it could be returned.

Soldato
Ouch.

I'd personally just try and return or get a repair.

You had the brightness at 100% because you had to. These OLED sets really need to come with clear visible warnings and a booklet on just trying to stop image retention and burn in.

Soldato
Static image recognition does sound like an awesome feature for OLED, has anyone got a newer OLED TV to prove this? Imagine it when playing video games though... arrgh where's my health bar! Haha
I fear though that every OLED TV in the World is being damaged by the YouTube app? Maybe external devices could have an OLED setting to make static images less damaging to OLED's?.
Am going to leave my sony 65AF9 on that you tube screen for few minutes and see what happens

Soldato
OP
From what I've learned about general OLED burn-in is the higher the brightness the sooner burn-in will appear, but even at 60% OLED brightness burn-in will eventually happen. Plus red OLED pixels damage sooner, which is why newer OLED TV's have bigger red pixels.

One thing I've noticed with my YouTube logo burn-in is that the edges of the logo are very sharp. This means the TV pixel shifting feature (always turned on) had zero effect on stopping this burn-in as the logo must have only been present for brief periods, which makes sense while using the YouTube app, or the burn-in happened during 1 sitting -which is bad news for static image detectors. Plus the red pixels are more suscepible to burn-in... just bad luck YouTube are forcing the brightest most saturated red colour they can.

Soldato
I don’t think YouTube are to blame, it’s an inherent weakness with all OLEDs. Not fit for purpose, easy win in small claims court if your included to pursue a refund.

Soldato
This is why I stayed well clear of OLED after Plasma, I used my Plasma for movies only over the years and for very few hours, it spent 99% of its life off and only came on for movies which was probably one or two times a month and some months no use at all and it started to show retention near the end and lucky it was not burn in but the retention was taking longer and longer to clear.

I got fed up with it and sold it and got a Sony XF9005 4K TV and so much happier now.

Here is another recent video with their new OLED screens LG.. LG sucks and even their LCD IPS screens suck, they show problems too and give them a few years and they will show reality of IPS too.. I will never buy a screen made by LG ever again under any manufacturer name as they OEM the screens to others, I always check now who makes the screen for the display.

The way we watch TV and use TVs has changed with a lot more content with static images, from games, to channels with their logos always on to the screen menus. All this adds up to burn in and bad retention.. LG need to get their act together and figure out a way to resolve these issues and anyone buying a OLED as a gaming screen is crazy, unless you are rich and happy to bin the screen each year.

Soldato
Are you running it at 100% brightness even in non-HDR modes? Have you tried some recommended settings from the likes of AVForums to see if you can get decent settings that don't involve burning the screen out like that? The ones I use for my B7 have the OLED setting at 40 for non-HDR and 100 for HDR, although I drop that down slightly as a personal preference.

As for the above, I've no qualms about using mine for gaming and I'm certainly not rich. Common sense takes care of most of the issues, I find. I worked in retail a long time ago and saw image retention and stuck pixels on display models of LCD TVs too.

Soldato
OP
Wow, that burn-in is bad. Even though you can't make out the words over some images the colour is certainly worse.
My previous TV was a Samsung 8000 from 2015 which actually displayed better colours in HDR. Although it was plagued with black being grey & even having side projecting LED's movie letterboxes were awful.
There's a term where once you go OLED you never go back & I still agree with that even now, as my burn-in is a lesson learned in using apps & can be prevented in the future.
I've played a lot of games in HDR on this OLED which has caused no burn-in, just 1 app slipped through the net.
2 screen cleans have not changed the burn-in & I now fear the colour red will not be as saturated in that area or the logo will appear under the right conditions when watching something else.
The thing is, after you've watched OLED, especially a HDR film in a dark room, there is no going back. Even Star Trek Discovery in a reduced 1080p Dolby Vision is a sight to behold (1080p being a restriction forced by CBS on Netflix in the UK). All LCD TV's look muddy in comparison.
My next TV will be OLED, although YouTube maybe consigned to a nearby LCD.

[The TV is near a window so needs a higher brightness in the daytime, plus I find anything lower than 80% OLED light makes the image too dark. Although dark room at 40% is fine in a dark room. Maybe its the 3D polarizer reducing brightness by 10%? Also a lower OLED light value will only slow down screen-burn]

Soldato
Solid red will cause you the most issues, and will be the first thing to give out. Essentially the leds have a lifespan, which is modified by how hard they're driven (light level) and the type (because the sub-pixel structure is different in size due to differing burn out rates).

Right now you're already seeing burn out caused as a result of showing the youtube logo. In time this will only get worse, because the lifespan of those pixels has already been shortened through use and also because the burn out will be perceive-ably worse as it nears its end (i.e. their lifespan from 40% -> 20% will make them look a lot worse than 100% -> 80%).

Furthermore the LG '6' series are also a lot less resilient than from 7 onward in terms of burn out, and you can see this because there's mass amounts of these TVs which show such an effect all across forums, google, etc.

So, what can you do about it? Basically not much. My advice, if you value 3D, is to essentially relegate the E6 to movie watching in a light-controlled room only and then get yourself a FALD TV for everything else. Remember, it will only get worse with time (usage) & these TVs won't be replaceable because no one's making them anymore with 3D capability, and certainly no projector will be as good qualitatively for 3D, at least the ones available in the near future & not for a fortune.

Otherwise, just ride it out.

Associate
I've been really careful with my LG 55E6 for over a year & surprisingly video gaming hasn't affected it & I don't watch normal TV anyway.
However, the...

Is this a typo? Hard to see from the picture but it does look like an older E6 with the integrated sound bar.
That said LG have released three model revisions from the Series 6.
I have had a C8 for over a year now which has been constantly used gaming and has often been left with that YouTube page showing. I have no screen burn that I can make out using colour patterns. I have pixel screen shift on, logo protection and the screen saver that comes on once any screen has been idle for a few minutes.
I have had various flag ship TVs in my age and the C8 is most definitely the best I’ve owned for being most impressive with picture quality. I had(still have) one of the first Samsung 3D LEDs and whilst the picture was good it suffered really badly with back light bleed all over the panel - the viewing pleasure was greatly reduced when viewing at nighttime. I then had a Sony W905 the LCD picture on this was amazing for its time and 1080p content still looks great on this TV (my parents use it) but the smart system is diabolical.
Next up was the Samsung KS9000. After going through three sets to get an acceptable amount of back light bleed (edge lit panel but lit across the top and bottom so you notice grey bars in films instead of black) the picture was but more so because it was a 4K set. The smart system was a massive let down on this platform. HDR was good but the high brightness caused bright glow around objects due to lack of dimming zones. This was soon replaced by my now OLED set. I know there would be issues but I’ve not had to alter the way I watch. I enjoy watching films at night again. HDR May not be the brightest but the effect is there because of the absolute contrast with the ability to control each pixel instead of zones.
OLED has come a long way since the E6 mentioned here every platform has issues but I’m afraid I’ve experienced far more on current LCDs (which have been around for donks) than I have on my first OLED.

Soldato
OP
Yes its the 2016 LG 55" E6 with built in sound bar & flat screen, 3D is good & have a few films but its not a deal breaker. It was £2200 in April 2017, crikey I've had it over 2yrs. It was either this or a B6 & I just managed afford the E6.
Before the E6 I thought about a KS9000 but it didn't seem much an upgrade from the 8000 so tried a 2x Panasonic DX902 FALD. Both had a terrible dirty screen effect & with HDR games you could see the backlight squares follow any light sources.

As far as I can tell this screen-burn is not visible in normal viewing at the moment so I'm not using the YouTube app on this TV anymore, or until YouTube make their app OLED friendly. TBH it was a pain to enable max energy saving to dim the screen when listening to YouTube music which I do a lot.
This now makes the Roku4k redundant as its sole purpose in life was YouTube HDR, so I'm now using an old 10" tablet (Toshiba Excite Pro) purely for YouTube & will cast YouTube music to the Roku & bypass the TV optical out to amp (Logitech z5500 digital) by plugging the Roku into a HDMI audio splitter with phono digital to the same amp.

Maybe I can eek out a while longer with this app damaged E6 until getting another OLED. A shame it can no longer use YouTube, nor I'd say can any other OLED TV until the app is made OLED friendly.

Soldato
Is this a typo? Hard to see from the picture but it does look like an older E6 with the integrated sound bar.
That said LG have released three model revisions from the Series 6.
I have had a C8 for over a year now which has been constantly used gaming and has often been left with that YouTube page showing. I have no screen burn that I can make out using colour patterns. I have pixel screen shift on, logo protection and the screen saver that comes on once any screen has been idle for a few minutes.
I have had various flag ship TVs in my age and the C8 is most definitely the best I’ve owned for being most impressive with picture quality. I had(still have) one of the first Samsung 3D LEDs and whilst the picture was good it suffered really badly with back light bleed all over the panel - the viewing pleasure was greatly reduced when viewing at nighttime. I then had a Sony W905 the LCD picture on this was amazing for its time and 1080p content still looks great on this TV (my parents use it) but the smart system is diabolical.
Next up was the Samsung KS9000. After going through three sets to get an acceptable amount of back light bleed (edge lit panel but lit across the top and bottom so you notice grey bars in films instead of black) the picture was but more so because it was a 4K set. The smart system was a massive let down on this platform. HDR was good but the high brightness caused bright glow around objects due to lack of dimming zones. This was soon replaced by my now OLED set. I know there would be issues but I’ve not had to alter the way I watch. I enjoy watching films at night again. HDR May not be the brightest but the effect is there because of the absolute contrast with the ability to control each pixel instead of zones.
OLED has come a long way since the E6 mentioned here every platform has issues but I’m afraid I’ve experienced far more on current LCDs (which have been around for donks) than I have on my first OLED.
I have the C8 as well. Its a fantastic TV but i made myself wait past the 6 and 7 series due to potential burn in. The 8 series i would say are the first that are decent enough to avoid screen burn with the 6 and 7 series being the "testers" or Beta releases.

Associate
100% oled light/brightness.......

Enough said.

This isn’t the case. I also run mine with high light. It’s more down to this being an older set with immature technology. As the guy above, the series 8 has improved on this 10 fold and I’d imagine the 2019 sets would have improved further. It’s an inherent flaw with OLED much like all the flaws with LCD the difference LCD has been around 10+ years longer to improve and make the flaws less tolerable - I mean how many different types of back lighting have been around and still not one manufacturer has settled one one type, as they all have advantages and disadvantages.
OLED tech is way behind LCD in terms of the time it’s been around and in my honest opinion, it is much better in its infancy than LCD was.

I don’t get the hate for OLED so much. I’d take the slim risk of some minor burn in years down the line instead pot luck on whether I’d get a good panel or not with LCD.

V F

V F

Soldato
This isn’t the case. I also run mine with high light. It’s more down to this being an older set with immature technology. As the guy above, the series 8 has improved on this 10 fold and I’d imagine the 2019 sets would have improved further. It’s an inherent flaw with OLED much like all the flaws with LCD the difference LCD has been around 10+ years longer to improve and make the flaws less tolerable - I mean how many different types of back lighting have been around and still not one manufacturer has settled one one type, as they all have advantages and disadvantages.
OLED tech is way behind LCD in terms of the time it’s been around and in my honest opinion, it is much better in its infancy than LCD was.

I don’t get the hate for OLED so much. I’d take the slim risk of some minor burn in years down the line instead pot luck on whether I’d get a good panel or not with LCD.

It's Groundhog Day all over again from Plasma's time. Gamers saying stay away from Plasma.

Caporegime

Well 100% SDR with static content does not help at all.... Although I really don't see the need for 100%, that is crazy bright, even for an older oled model and far exceeds the recommended calibration luminance, unless the room is stupidly bright with poor lighting/glare control.....

My E7 still going strong, bought in October 2017 and the amount of games etc. I have played that have 100% OLED light setting (due to HDR) and not a single sign of burn in, not even temporary image retention. I don't even worry about burn in now, have even fallen asleep with the TV on a static window numerous times now (when connected to PC and my screen saver hasn't activated, although the TV dims itself slightly)

And yup, give me OLEDs "disadvantages" over LCDs disadvantages any day! The advantages of OLED far outweigh the disadvantages.

Back
Top Bottom