Is this possible to program?

Soldato
Hello all, i'm after something really simple creating for my HP Touchpad.

Basically I want some form of software/database/webpage that I can load up on my Touchpad which presents the user with one screen which asks for their name and email address, when the user has input this on the screen they then click save and it saves the aforementioned database to somewere on the Touchpad, be it a database, a text file or an excel sheet.

Now I know this is possible to do but i've no idea of how to do it.

I was thinking the easiest way would be to create it using Excel and some macros so that it writes the name and email to the spreadsheet in the background and just set up the front screen for people to input their details - but i'm lacking in Excel knowledge, the last time I did something like this was at school and my programming knowledge is none existant.

Does anyone know of any easy ways to do what I need it?!

What OS does the tablet run? WebOS?

If you can store files on your device (like a .html file) and access said file in the browser it might be possible to create a little web-page using a HTML5 database to store the information.

If you could visit : http://html5demos.com/database on your device and see if it works. (see if the HTML5 features you need work)

If yes, might be possible. If no, You'd probably need to make a real App.

Last edited:
It needs to be offline really so can't be web based as the tablet doesnt have 3G, nor will I be in places with constant WIFI :(

The tablet is running WebOS atm, but I may be dual booting it with Android if that helps with compatibility with more software/opens up more options?!

Any help massively appreciated, thanks!

Follow this:

http://www.weboshelp.net/webos-tutorials/156-palm-webos-html5-database-storage-tutorial

Host it on the internet, open it in your browser when you have internet, don't close it when you don't have internet.

I saw that example last night, didn't get on with it very well :P but it's a good place to start.

You might be able to make use of another HTML5 (i think) feature which makes the browser cache all the required files so that it can function offline too :)

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/offline.html

(read about it, or something like it when playing with iphone type web-apps, never used it though)

Doesn't Microsofts office suite have a DB you can simply create a DB and a form to add to it , if not is it possible to use open office as this does have a small DB program.

Don't think you can use MS Access DB's either :(

It supports the HTML 5.0 stuff though, but i'm a complete and utter novice/retard when it comes to coding that sort of stuff!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys - appreciate it.

HTML5 localstorage maybe?

/edit Also maybe 'cookies' would do the job you need, no idea really my HTML skills end at tablesTBH, just googled some stuff and localstorage came up, but was going to suggest 'cookies' might be the only way to get HTML to store data for you, but first article I read said localstorage > cookies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom