Is this socially acceptable

Associate
The town where I live has an extremely strange resident.

The guy is well over 6 foot tall and wears womens clothes. He often wears girls school uniforms (he has two different coloured uniforms of two of the schools in town). Once a shopkeeper turned around and was flusterred by the sight of him and said "can I help you madam?" and he said "I'm a man." And I heard from some girl who worked in a chemist that he goes in and "doesn't just buy womens make-up." Obviously he doesn't have a job so every Thursday can be seen in full drag gear outside the post office to collect his dole.

It's pretty clear the guy has issues. He is pretty much an object of ridicule in the town. I also think the school uniform is a bit sinister. And if I worked in a womens clothes shop (not that I would) and he came in I definitely wouldn't serve him. For a start, he'd stretch the clothes, and seeing him wearing a shop's merchandise would put other people off shopping there.

But is it a case of "he's not harming any one so he should be left alone?"
Opinions?

Soldato
Used to have someone like that come into a wholesalers I worked in when at Uni. Nevery did any harm apart from asking for high heels in size 12's. Prob made the counter assistant more uncomfortable than they were. I swear he was one hair short of a gorilla. Really offputting in summer when he insisted in coming in short skirts

As long as he isnt harming anyone then I guess its different strokes for different folks

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
One of my male lecturers comes in wearing blouses/skirts/makeup/earrings/tights/high heels/fake breasts/etc. Basically, if he didnt look sorta like ozzy osbourne, he could probably pass off as a woman some days :/

It would seem the uni have no problems whatsoever with him doing this. Possibly something to do with him being top of his subject area though.

Soldato
I know someone whose father has a degenerative brain disorder and he used to be seen around town wearing just a trench coat or workmens dungaree type things. He can appear to be fully lucid and normal, and some people just think he is a drunk.
It could be a mental problem, and I'd definately go with the "if he's not harming anyone" group.

Permabanned
DRZ said:
One of my male lecturers comes in wearing blouses/skirts/makeup/earrings/tights/high heels/fake breasts/etc. Basically, if he didnt look sorta like ozzy osbourne, he could probably pass off as a woman some days :/

It would seem the uni have no problems whatsoever with him doing this. Possibly something to do with him being top of his subject area though.
what areas that then?

Soldato
Some years ago I went into the toilets in a mobile cabin unit at work. I was sat there contemplating life when I heard some high heels walk into the small 2 cubicle room. I started wondering if I could remember seeing urinals.

I thought I must have gone into the ladies :eek:

I kept quiet as the person went into the next cubicle and I figured I just had to sit there until they left, then I could escape without any accusations.

The other person flushed, washed and left. I gave it a couple of minutes and did the same.

On the way out though I noticed the door clearly had the mens symbol on it so I told a few mates thinking some woman had wandered into the gents. They pointed out that there was a bloke in that area that had to obviously live as a woman for a year or so before they would operate. His colleagues couldn't agree which toilets he could use in the main buildings so he could only use the toilets in the cabins.

Sad really

Could it be your "weird bloke" might be doing the same thing?

Soldato
Used to work with a guy who wanted to be a woman.

Had to work nights with him once on my own, where he told me:

"Told my friend i was working nights this week and she said aww poor you, i said its not going to be too bad i get to work with this gorgeous guy....."

So i said, "When is he turning up?"

Vix

Vix

Associate
Another vote for the 'if he's not hurting anything' croud. Yes it seems odd if you don't understand it but there are reasons for people doing 'odd' things.

I used to work in a charity shop and we would have quite a few men come in to buy womens clothes as they felt more comfortable with the staff in charity shops. One of the other managers told me a story once of when a bloke tried on a really short, tight dress and came out of the changing room in it. Apparently she saw... everything :eek:

Man of Honour
DRZ said:

Maybe it is more common amongst lecturers than elsewhere. One of the lecturers at Dundee uni often wears skirts which is completely fine, like said different strokes and all that but what really makes it look odd is the huge grey beard he has going on at the same time.

I'm totally with the it isn't harming anyone crowd on this matter, it might look odd to you but if they feel comfortable then there shouldn't be a problem. :)

Back
Top Bottom