Is this spec anygood for £1000 budget?

Associate
Hi lads/lassies,

As my final year in college comes to a close im going to be upgrading my existing computer and buying a laptop. My choice at first was to buy a gaming laptop but they are just too bulky and with the new macbooks out I think they are a steal for 1.2k euro!

So now I need a cheap desktop capable of playing latest games at high but not max settings.

Here is my spec:

AMD Opteron UP 144 San Diego 1.8GHz 1MB Cache
Asus GeForce 7900 GT/2DHT 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI
Asus A8N-VM CSM Micro ATX (Socket 939) PCI Express Motherboard
Seasonic S12 430W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply
NEC MultiSync® LCD20WGX2 20.1" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black/Silver
Silverstone Sugo SG01 Aluminium Mini PC
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit

Any opinions? my budget is 1.5k euro (roughly STG£1000)

I havent chosen a dual core cpu because of the price..would it be worth forking out abit more for a dual core cpu?

Thanks in advance
dave

I think if buying now the move to dual core may be worth it, more games / programs coming out to utilise dual core. If multitasking also better.
X1800XT is faster & slightly cheaper than the Asus 7900GT, but it is a dual slot card.
Mobo option could also be ..Gigabyte K8NMF-9 nForce4 Micro ATX (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-041-GI)

All looks good though.

Agree with aces, a 3800+ X2 and X1800XT would be better choices.

I'd go for the Asus MVP board too. If you do a search recently ( like yesterday I think ) there was a thread on someone else looking for £900 gaming PC which ought to help you a lot.

I'd wait for the new batch of AMD and Intels come out. You may save money on ocket 775 or socket 939 cpus then. I like to save money buy getting a realy cheap CPU and clocking it. Not only does it save a fortune it's very rewarding.

All the money you save a few £££s. Just look at the prices of the cpus 3000 to 3500 they're cheap as chips and normaly clock extremly well. I think getting a AMD64 3200+ was the best choice for value I've ever made and it's even cheaper now.

Back
Top Bottom