Is this tyre damage OK?

Associate
Just looking for some advice on whether this tyre damage is OK. Sorry for the rubbish photos, best I can do at the moment.

The flap is about 25mm x10mm x (I measured it) 3mm deep. From reading up it looks like it is on the rim protector so might be OK. I definitely cannot see any cords when I pull the flap back and there are no bulges on the tyre. The tyre is a Continental SportContact 5 with a kerbing rib/rim protector and has only had 1500 miles on a 1 month old brand new car. The tyres are still full of rubber spikes and writing imprint all over the tread so I could really do without having to replace it :mad:

DSC_1130.jpg

DSC_1141.jpg

DSC_1142.jpg

Associate
The MOT notes state:

"The side wall of your tyre is a vital part of the tyres structure. You should check your tyres sidewall condition periodically. Damage to the side wall of the tyre is the most common cause of tyre blowouts. If you find any damage in your sidewall you should have it checked out as soon as possible. Generally speaking any minor cut that extends for 25mm or more is not safe, as is any serious cut of any size. If in any doubt have it checked by a tyre centre or competent mechanic."

Soldato
It's a month old and you have curbed the wheel?
What we're you doing? I have only once clipped a curb and that was 2 years ago!

Caporegime
If thats on the thick rim protector I'd be inclined to say its OK, its difficult to say without knowing how much meat there is on the protector. If you don't know either it would be best to just replace it and be on the safe side!

Associate
OP
It's a month old and you have curbed the wheel?
What we're you doing? I have only once clipped a curb and that was 2 years ago!

It wasn't kerbed, it knocked something on a pretty damn shoddy country road. It gets parked at least a foot from the kerb because the tyre height is so low.

Associate
OP
It looks fine, and similar to mine. See thread:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18717197&highlight=startername_Ricochet

Recently my car passed its MOT with no advisories even with the small damage to the tyre. I specifically asked the MOT tester about the side wall damage and he said it didn't even flag as an advisory.

Yours looks similar to mine. If it is, don't worry about it.

Cheers. It certainly looks nowhere near as deep as the worst of that and it is the same tyre. I will have another look in the morning when it gets light.

Caporegime
The tyre has undoubtedly took a knock, whilst I've seen worse tbh equally I have had a blowout (on a car) after ignoring far less damage than that....

It's one of the four things that keep you in contact with the road, is it really worth hoping it's not been weakened and everything will be fine & dandy.....?

I'd change it and would advise you to do so.

Back
Top Bottom