Is this tyre knackered?

Soldato
Is this tyre past the point at which it should be used on the road? Somebody I know has just picked up an 08 plate car that has only has 35k on the clock so I don't know how old these tyres are.

The issue I have is they want to use it to ferry my 2 year old daughter around & with the state of these tyres i'm not sure that's really a good idea, what are peoples thoughts on here?

it's been an advisory on the last few MOT's.

dyHABlX.jpg

Soldato
OP
Check the date code on the side wall. It'll be 4 digits e.g. 0120. 0120 means week 1 of the year 2020. You'll probably find these are circa 2013/14 judging the photo.

But I wouldn't go on the motorway on that tyre - no chance. Might be fine around town at low speeds if someone was desperate not to replace it.

I've tried to read the markings, but the sidewall is in such a state that I can't make them out properly.

Soldato
OP
As above, replace. And buy a decent tyre from a decent brand. You don’t need to buy Michelin (although I’d recommend them) but at least buy a brand you’ve heard of. Yokohama, Kumho, Vredestein, Uniroyal etc. and I’d probably even buy two on the same axle. If one tyre is like that chances are the other will be too.

If it was my car it'd be having 4 Goodyear efficient grips on it, just put 4 Efficient Grip Preformance on the Wifes car & I am running Asymmetric 3's.

Surprised that hasn't failed the MOT not been just an advisory. No idea if they are safe or not but I wouldn't want my daughter near a car with them on.

Pretty sure if a tyre has more than 1.6mm of tread & the cords aren't showing it can only be put down as an advisory.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OP needs to go outside and give his head a wobble just for thinking that tyre is remotely acceptable.

Where have I said I think it's even remotely acceptable?

I posted as I want the opinion of others as some people think I'm over reacting by saying that I don't want my daughter travelling in that car until the tyres are replaced.

Soldato
OP
Doesn't look great. Do you reckon it is still an original tyre from new?

Too much tread on it to have been on for the life of the car at 35k I reckon, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the original spare though or one that's been picked up 2nd hand from a scrap yard.

That said it's a little Meriva, totally unlike anything i've ever owned so god knows how they wear.

Soldato
OP
Slash the in laws tyres so they have to be replaced.

Only joking :)

I appreciate it's awkward not being your car, what about borrowing the car and just sticking some maxxis on there?

You might be joking but i'd be doing her a favour. It's several miles busy of NSL roads to get to mine, if that lets go at 60 she's either offing it into a field or taking some other car out head on.

Soldato
OP
An update, car is sat outside & i'm not at work today so had a proper look, looks like all four tyres are past it in my opinion & I have found the manufacture date markings.

Their manufacture dates are -
  • Week 49 2014
  • Week 37 2013
  • Week 02 2008
  • Week 48 2007
So at least 2 of the tyres are 12 - 13 years old, i'm a bit baffled how one predates the registration of the car & is a random Chinese brand so wouldn't have left the factory with it, it is of course also cracked to hell but it was wet yesterday so wasn't as visible, the 2008 tyre is a continental of some description so I presume this one is actually factory fitted as it matches the cars reg year.

Front passenger side tyre also has a gash which i'm pretty sure is down to the cords.

Soldato
OP
Don’t see why the tyre being older than car registration is confusing. Obviously the tyre was made before the car.

It was the fact it's a Chinese ditchfinder so wouldn't have left the factory with it. Although I suppose it could have had a puncture in the first year or so & been fitted then. I just know when I've bought tyres they have never been more than a few months from the manufacture date. We put a set of 4 Goodyears on the wifes car & they have a date of week 40 odd 2019 for example.

Back
Top Bottom