Is Valve's "Black Box" completely cancelled?

Soldato
I know they cancelled it from the shelves, but I can't see it on Steam either? :(

I thought they were going to sell it on steam, containing Ep2, TF2 and Portal?

I'm not paying for the orange box ($50) and I'm not paying for them separately ($90 for the 3 new games). They should be rewarding people who bought HL2 and Ep1, not forcing them to either buy it again or pay extra for them separately.

If it is available, how do I get to it? :confused:

Associate
I think people have completely the wrong mentality when it comes to the orange box, consider HL2 and Ep1 free. I'm not sure if that's the official standpoint but that's certainly how I see it. You say you're not going to pay for the orange box ($50)... you're not going to pay $50 for three games you don't have? That, good sir, is a downright bargain.

VALVe is to blame, for ever announcing the black box. Everyone seems to be blind to the amazingly good value for money orange box now. Shame.

Soldato
I think people have completely the wrong mentality when it comes to the orange box, consider HL2 and Ep1 free. I'm not sure if that's the official standpoint but that's certainly how I see it. You say you're not going to pay for the orange box ($50)... you're not going to pay $50 for three games you don't have? That, good sir, is a downright bargain.

VALVe is to blame, for ever announcing the black box. Everyone seems to be blind to the amazingly good value for money orange box now. Shame.

I agree actually. I paid $45 for Orange Box and it was totally worth it. Even though i have completed both Portal and EP2, i will definitely play them through again. TF2 is great too, and the fact that you can gift HL2 and EP1 is a good idea as well.

Man of Honour
I'm not suprised they haven't put it on sale, but it goes to show how good value to Orange box it. At the end of the day, you can give away, or even sell, the extra Half-Life 2 and Episode One you get with the Orange Box.

Soldato
The orange box is a bargain if you ask me, even if you already own HL2 + Ep1. Around £25 for three games? I would pay that much for TF2 alone.

I think the black box was only included with the ATi 2900 series and they won't be selling the black box on it's own.

Soldato
Orange box is a good deal imo and I would have got it, however i got black box with my 2900 :). I already had HL2 and ep1 just like you.

so does orange box have like loads of games in it? hear a lot about half life but never played it before but really want to. Is this worth getting as a starting point for me? can someone explain all the different names like you got half life 2, episode 1, episode 2, team fortress 2, portal etc

also if i was to buy this from an online store would i get all the disks or is it one of those heres a code now go download it games which i hate?

[edit]

just checked and it says its out 19th october, im guessing that people only have it through steam and the disk version is the one coming out on 19th or something?

Last edited:

UFX

UFX

Associate
Go buy the Valve Complete Pack.

Strike
Valve 88 $9.95
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
Valve 65 $9.95
Counter-Strike: Source
Valve 88 $19.95
Day of Defeat
Valve 79 $9.95
Day of Defeat: Source
Valve 80 $9.95
Deathmatch Classic
Valve -- $9.95
Half-Life
Valve 96 $9.95
Half-Life 2
Valve 96 $29.95
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Valve -- $9.95
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Valve 87 $19.95
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Valve 92 $29.95
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Valve -- --
Half-Life Deathmatch: Source
Valve -- --
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Gearbox Software 71 $9.95
Half-Life: Source
Valve -- $9.95
Opposing Force
Gearbox Software -- $9.95
Portal
Valve 88 $19.95
Ricochet
Valve -- $9.95
Team Fortress 2
Valve 93 $29.95
Team Fortress Classic
Valve -- $9.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Individual price $269.10
Package price $99.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cost to you $99.95

You save $169.15!

$99.95 Valve Complete Pack

Caporegime

completely and utterly the wrong view point.

the ever normal standard of games is single player + multiplayer for roughly £25-30. the idea of episodic content shouldn't detract from the fact that any other game split up in 3 parts would still have some kind of multiplayer free.

hl2 had cs:s (whatever i got had it free), for years valve have been trying to split games apart as much as possible so the extra £5 you spend becomes £1 on 4 different parts, then it becomes an extra £10 but only £2 extra per episode, but its less noticable.

they are slowly but quite massively increasing their prices and everyone is saying how good value it is.

crysis + multiplayer will be £20-25, hl3 as it was, should have be £20-25 WITH some kind of multiplayer, thats standard. hl2 was for me i think £25 with multiplayer. so far, if i bought the orange box i would have paid £12 for ep 1, £25 for ep 2, and for all we know they'll make us pay £35 for ep 3 + everything else free.

black box £15 for ep 2, portal and tf2 as it should have been. they bumped up the price, added on 2 games that 90% of people buying ep 2 already had thereby making a 66% increase in price. the 10% of people that didn't have the game get a good deal, but the majority don't get a good deal.

even if ep 3 is its minimum price of £12, then the standard buyer will have spent £12 ep 1, £25 ep 2, £12 ep 3, + tf2 and portal. thats the price of two full games, for one game plus its multiplayer plus, though fantastic, an hours game of portal.

crysis could make the multiplayer use the engine but change the style, the weapons and everything and simply split it and sell it as a separate game, thats what valve are doing. but they, and all other games with single and multiplayer combined don't do that.

but if valve continue to simply split games in two, double the cost and add in a tech demo for free and we pay it. then in 2 years crysis plus its multiplayer will cost £45. and CNC4 will sell the single and multiplayer separately for £25 a piece.

I got the blackbox for free with my card, so i'm happy, but had i not the only real way to get ep 2 was the orange box.

Also, this idiotic idea of giving away the first two games free, the person that gets them for free, then wants to play ep 2, so he gets the orange box, and boom, he's paying for 2 games he doesn't need.

marketing genius by valve, yes, massive money spinner for them, yes, ripping us off massively, yes. should we let them get away with it encouraging everyone else to do the same NOOOOOOO!

Associate
so does orange box have like loads of games in it? hear a lot about half life but never played it before but really want to. Is this worth getting as a starting point for me? can someone explain all the different names like you got half life 2, episode 1, episode 2, team fortress 2, portal etc

also if i was to buy this from an online store would i get all the disks or is it one of those heres a code now go download it games which i hate?

[edit]

just checked and it says its out 19th october, im guessing that people only have it through steam and the disk version is the one coming out on 19th or something?

Half life was the first game and from this were 2 expansion packs which are Opposing Force and Blue Shift.

Next was Half life 2 which to date has 2 expansion packs which are Ep1 then Ep2

portal Looks is a sorta side track from half life that might be joined into the freeman story but its mostly just to show off the portals.

TF2 is a remake of TF looks and plays so amazingly as said i would pay the price of the orange box for that alone.

Soldato
Valve is honouring the Black Box that was given away as a gift with the 2900 but will not be selling it separately as far as I know, so you can even buy the orange box and be happy or buy nothing and be miserable and bitter.

Soldato
I'd be happy with just Ep 2 and Portal. I don't need HL2 and Ep1, don't really want to give them away, and I don't have time for TF2 (although it does look fun).

Soldato
TF2 on its own is worth the $50 ... people need to quit whining about something that is really very minor. They could have sold it all without HL2 + Ep1 for $50 but they added those 2 to get even more people to buy it if they hadnt played ep1 before.

Associate
completely and utterly the wrong view point.

the ever normal standard of games is single player + multiplayer for roughly £25-30. the idea of episodic content shouldn't detract from the fact that any other game split up in 3 parts would still have some kind of multiplayer free.

hl2 had cs:s (whatever i got had it free), for years valve have been trying to split games apart as much as possible so the extra £5 you spend becomes £1 on 4 different parts, then it becomes an extra £10 but only £2 extra per episode, but its less noticable.

they are slowly but quite massively increasing their prices and everyone is saying how good value it is.

crysis + multiplayer will be £20-25, hl3 as it was, should have be £20-25 WITH some kind of multiplayer, thats standard. hl2 was for me i think £25 with multiplayer. so far, if i bought the orange box i would have paid £12 for ep 1, £25 for ep 2, and for all we know they'll make us pay £35 for ep 3 + everything else free.

black box £15 for ep 2, portal and tf2 as it should have been. they bumped up the price, added on 2 games that 90% of people buying ep 2 already had thereby making a 66% increase in price. the 10% of people that didn't have the game get a good deal, but the majority don't get a good deal.

even if ep 3 is its minimum price of £12, then the standard buyer will have spent £12 ep 1, £25 ep 2, £12 ep 3, + tf2 and portal. thats the price of two full games, for one game plus its multiplayer plus, though fantastic, an hours game of portal.

crysis could make the multiplayer use the engine but change the style, the weapons and everything and simply split it and sell it as a separate game, thats what valve are doing. but they, and all other games with single and multiplayer combined don't do that.

but if valve continue to simply split games in two, double the cost and add in a tech demo for free and we pay it. then in 2 years crysis plus its multiplayer will cost £45. and CNC4 will sell the single and multiplayer separately for £25 a piece.

I got the blackbox for free with my card, so i'm happy, but had i not the only real way to get ep 2 was the orange box.

Also, this idiotic idea of giving away the first two games free, the person that gets them for free, then wants to play ep 2, so he gets the orange box, and boom, he's paying for 2 games he doesn't need.

marketing genius by valve, yes, massive money spinner for them, yes, ripping us off massively, yes. should we let them get away with it encouraging everyone else to do the same NOOOOOOO!

I tried to sympathise with you, but I couldn't.

I'm not quite sure how you value games, but you make a very confusing argument. First of all, comparing this package to any other game on the market is quite ridiculous, especially Crysis! You bizarrely expect multiplayer to be standard? CSS was included with game of the year edition of HL2 btw.

Now, there is a lot to talk about, but lets for a moment forget what we know about Valve and analyse this package in context. The Orange box is about £27, lets try and divide that up amongst the games. I would say Ep2 is worth a good £15, lets say TF2 is worth £10. Of course that only leaves £2 for Portals, boy are valve nasty buggers, eh? For shame.

If you're trying to compare this to ep1, stating you only paid 15 smackers for that, then go and buy ep2 for the £15 it is selling for and be quiet.

You can put whatever spin you want on this deal, but don't forget that TF2 and Ep2 have no direct relationship. They are two completely different games, it is not the multiplayer component to Ep2. Portals is just what they said it would be. This is not comparable to a game like Crysis with a relatded multiplayer component.

The orange box without HL2 and ep1 is great value for money, which is how we should all come to the conclusion that they are freebies. If you're not happy with the orange box, go and buy whatever game you want at the fair price it is being sold. Or don't, I'm sure Valve will be crying their selves to sleep.

Associate
i agree, its a good deal, otherwise people with hl2 and ep1 wouldnt be buying it, yet they are doing, so its a good deal, simple realy isnt it.

im gonna go buy it in an actual orange box on friday, im not too into downloading.

Back
Top Bottom