Is Wordpress Dead? Alternatives?

Associate
If you are on Krystal install the Wordpress Litespeed cache plugin and take a while in setting it up nicely without your site breaking. Will give you a very quick website, even on the cheaper Krystal packages. :)

Man of Honour
Advising you to move to their own system then advising that you can't embed images into posts is laughable. Core WordPress is very secure and whilst it may not be ideal for every use case, and there are a lot of vulnerable plugins out there, that really only reflects the sheer size of the installed base - millions of websites and thousands of plugins.

In fact I'd suggest moving to their own system would be *less* secure, unless they're saying they have more knowledge, expertise and testing capability than the collective open source community.

Keep the site updated, install a plugin like Wordfence, and use either Cloudflare or a host with decent mod_security filtering (ideally Imunify360) and you'll be as secure as you can be.

Associate
I've voiced all my concerns and got a reply with phrase "the current website is posing a security threat and is liable to being exploited and hacked"

If I'm on top of every update, rated plugins and got ssl enabled am I really liable to being hacked?

I would plan to move away from them, but I would also ask them for the exact details of the security vulnerabilities they have found. If they are valid vulnerabilities, then you will want to sort them out when moving to a new host.

Soldato

Wordpress is most certainly not dead. We've only just started moving all of our bespoke sites over to WP now we've got a handle on react to customise/create Gutenberg blocks, customers prefer WP, people who maintain sites going forward prefer WP and anyone who tells you any different has their own agenda.

Soldato
I've voiced all my concerns and got a reply with phrase "the current website is posing a security threat and is liable to being exploited and hacked"

If I'm on top of every update, rated plugins and got ssl enabled am I really liable to being hacked?

You could move it to WP-Engine, you won't have to worry too much about third party plugins being a problem as they'll alert you before it becomes one. They're a bit more expensive that other hosts but it's well worth it.

Soldato
I feel like throwing in my own two cents here, to suggest moving to a custom codebase on the grounds that wordpress is a prime target for hackers, it much like saying that you should move to os2/warp from windows, because windows gets viruses.

Wordpress is fairly secure, so long as it is kept up to date and you dont install stupid random plugins. Just as windows is secure, so long as you don't isntall bonzo buddy etc..

Soldato
OP
Thanks again for all your input guys. I've since moved over to Krystal and so far it's been great. I'll be moving over my own personal sites to there too. However, what I did find amusing is when I did my own check of all the plugins to see if they were all still active and being updated, I only found one that was ancient. It just so happened to be one the web company had installed from day 1. It's no longer on woocommerce and there are better versions available I've since updated to!

Back
Top Bottom