Isopropyl Alcohol - Where to buy?

Soldato
The arctic webby seems to discourage the use of nail polish remover which is what I previously used.

Any ideas where to get this stuff?

edit:wrong section probably, move accordingly :p

Soldato
Jimbo Mahoney said:
High Street electronics store sell it in spray bottles
Yeah that's where I bought mine, think it was £10.00 for a spray can (lasts ages), also you can get it from Boots the chemist but you have to order it and come back to collect (explain its for cleaning PCs parts and not weapons of mass destruction or drug use! :eek: )

Associate
pop along to your local printers and ask if you can have some, we keep 100ltrs of it at work all the time and its 319 per 25ltr so your getting striped up at boots, also makes a great cooling additive by the way as it reduces surface tention and will increase flow rates!

Associate
i did a google search for that stuff about a year and a half ago and found a company who where posting out free sample wipes... used it when i was fitting an arctic cooler to my old 9800pro.

might be worth your while tryin to find a freebee on google :)

Soldato
Chemist. Picked mine up for £7 for a litre (aka Propan-2-ol). Would send you some but liquids weigh a lot and be cheaper for you to buy some locally + not sure if you are supposed to send highly flammable liquids by post :p.

The chemists also usually have the most pure stuff. Mines in a proper chemistry bottle with all the HAZCHEM stickers etc.

Last edited:
Associate
there is nothing corosive about alcohol !!!!! we printers use it for damping systems on bare back rubber rollers it also circulates through plastic pipes and comes in contact with brass, copper, nikel, steel, practicly all metals with no corossion efects!

the print industry has spent millions develping its alcohol based damping systems through chiller and no chiller units. it offers reduced water tention so it flows easy, it also gets into every nook and crany, and about a 25% addition will also add cooling effects from any rad!

Ive run alcohol in my water setup for ages with no corrosion and improved flow through less surface tention, use a hydrometer and see for your self people, great stuff for water cooling systems!

Permabanned
vapor matt said:
Ive run alcohol in my water setup for ages with no corrosion and improved flow through less surface tention, use a hydrometer and see for your self people, great stuff for water cooling systems!

umm achohol has poor thermal conductivity, its crap in a cooling system, its good for use as a solvent.

Soldato
Go to your local chemist & ask for a box of Isopropyl Alcohol swabs,they are about 1" square & are individualy sealed,you get a box of 200 for a couple of quid :D Last for ages

Rob

Last edited:
Associate
its not crap in a cooling system, the print industry has used it for years chilled and non chilled and we are not talking about neat alcohol here we are talking about a 25% mixture of water and alcohol. 25% alc 75% water

Back
Top Bottom