• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Issue installing Nvidia drivers with RTX 3090

Associate
Hi,

I need some help. I'm having major issues trying to install the Nvidia drivers for my RTX3090 GPU. When I try to install the Nvidia driver my PC crashes and attempts to reboot, eventually ending up at the blue WIN 11 screen.

My build:

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A Gaming WIFI (the DDR5 variant)
CPU: Intel i5-13600K
RAM: 64GB (2x 32GB) Corsair Vengance - 5600
Storage (M2.1 slot): Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB - the OS is here
Storage (M2.2 slot): Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB
PSU: ASUS Thor 850W Platinum II
New GPU: Gigabyte Aorus RTX3090 Waterforce extreme WB rev.1 (note: card is mounted upright)
Old GPU: MSI Ventus 1660 with Byski waterblock - works fine
Cooling: is custom hard-tube water-cooled, (note: GPU card is mounted upright)

This is what I've tried so far:

1. Updated the drivers the usual way, uninstalling everything Nvidia, and installing the card - didn't work: crashed during installation and eventually end up on the blue screen.
  2. Loading up in safe mode, using DDU to remove everything relating to the GPU, then installing the nVidia drivers in safe mode, versions: 472.12, 496.13, and 536.40. All install fine in safe mode, but crash on reboot, eventually ending up on the blue screen.
  3. I've tried the above with BIOS version 1001 and 1201 on the mobo, same issue.
Old GPU works if I swap it back in. Swapping GPU is a work of art (pain) due to the hard-tube loop.

Some other useful info: I have also tried Gigabyte Aorus RTX3080 Waterforce extreme WB rev.1 - same issue.

Any suggestions?

Couple of things to try. 1. Make sure your chipset drivers are up to date. 2. Disable any software thats starts up that is not microsoft. 3. Make sure windows update is upto date and not stuck. 3. Do not daisy chain any PCIE cables from powersupply to GPU. 4. Are the PCEI cables clicked into place. Swop PCie cables with another set if you can. 5. I would also be tempted to try a different PCIe slot aswell. 6. disable any overclocks you have.

Last edited:
I would say this might be the issue can you try it without the riser card direct into the motherboard ? I guess not if its hard tubed.
Did you test the card in the motherboard before you plumbed it all in or did you go straight to the hard tube setup ?

Hi all, I can't thank you all enough! I finally got around to cutting some new tubes and everything is up and running with the latest drivers! it was 100% the riser cable/ribbon. Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom