IT Remake (2017)

Associate
Watched this last night and thought it was great!

I generally avoid horror movies; I've got me a very overactive imagination :) Though I loved this movie I did not find it very scary at all. There were a few exciting/tense moments but I wouldn't call it scary. Have I been missing out on horror movies or am I right in my assessment of this one? Did you guys/girls find it scary?

Man of Honour
Watched this last night and thought it was great!

I generally avoid horror movies; I've got me a very overactive imagination :) Though I loved this movie I did not find it very scary at all. There were a few exciting/tense moments but I wouldn't call it scary. Have I been missing out on horror movies or am I right in my assessment of this one? Did you guys/girls find it scary?
Aside from the occasional jump scare and a couple of creepy build-ups, not overly menacing. Some of the 'scares' had me laughing out loud in the cinema - notably the ridiculous 'infected man' :D

Maybe pennywise is only scary if you're scared of clowns...

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Thought it was a good film, better than I expected. It's not exactly scary, more of an adventure in a coming of age type fiilm.

Permabanned
Thought it was fine.

As a coming of age story, it was OK. Decent laughs with adequate character motives and arcs.

As a horror, thought it was exceptionally poor. The humour disarms the film of all tension and even if it hadn't, the scares where hugely derivative and boring.

As an overall experience, I guess I liked it. I laughed and the gangs motives where relatively compelling. But it left me with nothing and I forgot about it by the end of the day.

Soldato
When the Leper came on I burst out laughing and the rest of the cinema remained silent. I was miffed lol. It's like the joke of the kids worst fear being a disease riddled person went over everyone's head.

Great film all round. The visuals were great fun.

Man of Honour
When the Leper came on I burst out laughing and the rest of the cinema remained silent. I was miffed lol. It's like the joke of the kids worst fear being a disease riddled person went over everyone's head.

Great film all round. The visuals were great fun.
Eh I'm not sure it was supposed to be funny - it was just badly executed.

The kid who saw the infected man was the kid who's mum was telling him he was sick (or would get sick) when really was on placebos - his treatment by his mum had made him paranoid about disease.

You didn't think it was a throwback 80s AIDs joke did you? :p

Soldato
Eh I'm not sure it was supposed to be funny - it was just badly executed.

The kid who saw the infected man was the kid who's mum was telling him he was sick (or would get sick) when really was on placebos - his treatment by his mum had made him paranoid about disease.

You didn't think it was a throwback 80s AIDs joke did you? :p

Well all the other kids had fears I could visualise, however the paranoid kids fear manifested in a way I found amusing.

None of it scared me but it thoroughly entertained me.

Permabanned
I think that's what bothered me most about it. Here's a film that's very much about fear that completely failed to scare me (and many others by the sounds of things).

Even with children as the central viewpoint characters who's perspective is quite possibly THE MOST relatable in the language of cinema, it never once frightened me.

It feels like the movie's wrestling with what audience it wants to attract. It has that element of campish horror that reminded me sooo much of something like Goosebumps, but it starts with... well, you know what.

Ironically, I don't think my points particularly valid when you consider what scares people is about as subjective as what makes them laugh....

Caporegime
Yeah I found myself laughing more at the one liner banter and dick jokes. Only to stop for 90secs at a so called scarey scene, to go back to joking.

Still excellent but not a real horror film.

Associate
I'm not a massive horror fan, like all these possession type films I avoid, that stuff shouldn’t be messed with!

But from the trailer this gives me quite a good 80s vibe and from the reviews on here I think I could get away with it. Now I've got to convince the missus!

Soldato
for me the very loud music/sounds ruined any chance of it being scary.
if they were a bit more subtle it could have been creepy but the 'scary' scenes were often a whole lot of 'yawn'.

still enjoyed it for what it is (and thats not a horror film)

Caporegime
Was alright i suppose, a bit above average horror movie. They really telegraphed the scares in this imo, you could see them coming a mile off. Not really understanding all the hype behind the movie, it was nothing special.

Man of Honour
I think that's what bothered me most about it. Here's a film that's very much about fear that completely failed to scare me

I've given up trying to find a film which scares me, I have become so utterly desensitised to it all that quite literally nothing in a movie scares me anymore.

Permabanned
I've given up trying to find a film which scares me, I have become so utterly desensitised to it all that quite literally nothing in a movie scares me anymore.

Eughhh, I'm glad I'm not there just yet.

The Babadook was the last film to really get me. Twin Peaks: The Return got me more recently though.

Associate
I thought the lego turtle and turtle reference in the quarry were a nice touch. Considering the length of the book and the need to condense ths significantly for the film all these little nods back to the source material certainly added another level of immersion for me.

Did anyone else notice what was going on in the background whilst Ben was sat down in the library. Thought that was suitably creepy in the same manner as the hotel manager's impossible window in The Shining.

Was that the old librarian woman standing there doing really creepy faces? Then suddenly she's sitting down? I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not.

Saw it last night, wasn't particularly scared by it, found the Conjuring more scary tbh. But I enjoyed it still overall. Seemed very little backstory to it, more just scare scene after scare scene intermingled by the odd funny joke. Maybe that's because I'm also reading the book at the minute, which is heavy on the details.

Soldato
Pretty weak overall. Too much humour (constant and tiring), pretty bad CGI in places - was jarring, and apart from the beginning there seemed very little threat by Pennywise (who i thought was good/creepy, but not scary). Weak ending.

Couple of the scene I liked a lot (projector, library woman) but the film seemed more comendy/drama than horror. The back stories (esp the girl's) were more unsettling than anything Pennywise did to them. Girl was good, the bully was good. 5/10. Annabelle Creation was FAR better.

Caporegime
apart from the beginning there seemed very little threat by Pennywise (who i thought was good/creepy, but not scary).

Thought so as well, he lacked any real kind of menace for most of his time on screen. Not sure how they expect him to be scary in the sequel which will obviously be them as adults. Apparently some scenes were filmed during the making of this to be included into the sequel.

Man of Honour
Eughhh, I'm glad I'm not there just yet.

The Babadook was the last film to really get me. Twin Peaks: The Return got me more recently though.

I hope you never get there, horror is one of my favourite genres but with me being so utterly desensitized now, I never jump, I never feel scared. Whether its psychological horror, supernatural horror, gore horror, literally nothing at all unsettles me or scares me now. Which does rather spoil the genre a bit for me, however I keep plowing through the films in the hope that one day I will find one which scares me.

Back
Top Bottom