It's amazing how much hostilaty you guys have there?

Soldato
If someone walked by and said hi to me, first reaction would be wtf is he on. Is he having a laugh? Is he doing this as a bet for his mates?

Its just normal to walk about and minding your own business. Its like that in the UK, was like that when I visited the states, canada, australia, and all the rest of the places.

In a way I love it when people mention the differences between the UK and other countries. I'm proud of our silence :p cause when we go insane you'll know it!!!!!1111one

Nix

Nix

Soldato
asim said:
In a way I love it when people mention the differences between the UK and other countries. I'm proud of our silence :p cause when we go insane you'll know it!!!!!1111one

It's the quiet ones you've got to watch out for :p

Soldato
I said hello to a bird in the supermarket today as i was buying my dinner.

She went on and on and on and on and on and on, with me thinking "christ, i wont be so obvious when checking out someones norks next time"

Associate
Depends where abouts in the UK you came too? Us geordies up in Newcastle are a friendly bunch if you find the right areas. I rarely ever say hello or say anything to another person in passing, but I will always make polite eye contact and I usually always get a smile and I'll smile back. If they say hi I'm always automatically confused and try to think if I know the person but I'll say "hello how are you" anyway.

So I don't think I would ever get used to saying hi to randoms but I defiantely think people need to smile more. There's been times I've smiled at someone in the street and they just glare back at you.

Scott.

Soldato
As seems the case with a lot of people, I'll acknowledge people with a "hi" or a friendly smile when walking in a quiet place - out in the country or in a park or something.

In a big town or city however I don't - most people are a lot busier and in a rush to get somewhere and odds are they're already fully occupied with whatever they're doing to want small talk from a stranger.

I also always make a point of saying hi to someone who serves me in a shop and ask how they are etc.

Soldato
I take it you were in a city? (Haven't read the thread sorry!) Yea, I understand what you mean, but I guess I'm used to it.
I noticed that it was more civalized when I went with my girlfriend up to yorkshire, it was a lot like where you live with a lot of people greeting you and being friendy.

Soldato
Like lots of others, in towns/cities I do my thing and ignore everyone else. In a more rural setting I'll say morning or afternoon, especially to older people. If I'm out riding, I'm fair game for random conversations with just about anyone. Elderly people especially love to see people out with horses and will use it as an excuse to have a good chinwag :)

Man of Honour
This thread couldn't be any more ironic if it tried.

Somebody from South Africa, the violant carjacking capital of the world, saying its the UK thats hostile?

Back
Top Bottom