I've needed to move to Chrome

Associate
Hi, I've needed to move to Chrome because of problems using Edge when logging in to online banking.

In Edge I'm able to add web sites where the cookies and data will NOT be cleared when I close the browser (having set it to clear data on close down).

In Chrome I can only see the option to clear cookies and data on close down.

Please, have I got this wrong and is there a way I can choose certain sites to NOT be cleared?

Thanks

Associate
OP
What problems are you having with online banking with Edge? Both use the same engine, so there should be minimal issues if any around compatibility.
I was unable to login to my high street bank. Initially it said that I'd entered the wrong details, I reverted from touch typing to index finger only and I know for certain that I had NOT entered the wrong details, I think they gave me 5 attempts. I phoned them, they said I'd entered the wrong password and to try logging in using my mobile (Chrome), which worked. When I went back to my PC and tried to login using Edge I was locked out. They said they would send me a code through the post and I should get it within 7 days. It arrived and when I tried "Forgotten Details" I was presented with page 1 of 3. I couldn't get past page 1. I phoned them again and they said it was the browser.

Additionally I use Kaspersky Safe Money and for some reason, recently when in Safe Money, Safe Money disables certain extensions, especially Custom New Tab which I've set for Google (it also disables two add blockers and Malwarebytes extensions). Disabling Custom New Tab is annoying because when I click the + for a new tab I'm NOT presented with Google but and Edge Web page. I currently have 21 bank accounts, 19 of them are for fixed periods so I have to login frequently to choose maturity instructions. Strangely enough I was very happy with Edge for the last two years where I didn't have any problems.

Thanks to all three of you>

Soldato
I was unable to login to my high street bank. Initially it said that I'd entered the wrong details, I reverted from touch typing to index finger only and I know for certain that I had NOT entered the wrong details, I think they gave me 5 attempts. I phoned them, they said I'd entered the wrong password and to try logging in using my mobile (Chrome), which worked. When I went back to my PC and tried to login using Edge I was locked out. They said they would send me a code through the post and I should get it within 7 days. It arrived and when I tried "Forgotten Details" I was presented with page 1 of 3. I couldn't get past page 1. I phoned them again and they said it was the browser.

Additionally I use Kaspersky Safe Money and for some reason, recently when in Safe Money, Safe Money disables certain extensions, especially Custom New Tab which I've set for Google (it also disables two add blockers and Malwarebytes extensions). Disabling Custom New Tab is annoying because when I click the + for a new tab I'm NOT presented with Google but and Edge Web page. I currently have 21 bank accounts, 19 of them are for fixed periods so I have to login frequently to choose maturity instructions. Strangely enough I was very happy with Edge for the last two years where I didn't have any problems.

Thanks to all three of you>

What bank out of curisoity? Can't speak for the Kaspersky product in any way shape or form I'm afraid, but I've used multiple banks with Edge over the last few years without a problem.

Associate
OP
What bank out of curisoity? Can't speak for the Kaspersky product in any way shape or form I'm afraid, but I've used multiple banks with Edge over the last few years without a problem.
Lloyds

Yes, I too hadn't had a problem until quite recently. I uninstalled Kaspersky (retaining the Account details, 104 days left etc) and reinstalled it. I thought that had worked but it hadn't.

Associate
For reference i can access Lloyds online banking with edge, chrome and brave seemlessly. Brave and Edge are both Forks of Chrome/Chrome powered browsers so as per Throrik's post, i would expect them to all work in a broadly similar fashion.

Soldato
Had had a similar issue with lloyds in the past where they were/are using javascripts from multiple/cross sites and 'ublock origin' was preventing script access.

I debugged this with F12 looking at log file which showed where ublock origin had blocked the access.

Had a long call with their useless IT folks - as it seemed it was an insecure setup where a man in the middle could impersonate a site.

I never get the browser to remember cookies that allow bank to designate browser/lap-top as a trusted device

(came here because chrome just lost my browsing history .. and looks like profile directory creates no backup of these files - have to use their sync between platforms)

Back
Top Bottom