Jamaican sprinters

Soldato
I always wondered why they were so fast, then I heard this explanation and was wondering if you thought it could be true or it is a load of rubbish.

Apparently, when the slave trade started shipping slaves by boat from Africa, they went via Britain and across the Atlantic to the US. Then they went down to the Caribbean and the last stop was Jamaica. They were crammed in so badly like cargo that conditions were horrendous and many, many died. Only the strongest survived, they were the ones that reached Jamaica and over the years, these strong specimens enriched the gene pool of Jamaica to a level where it produced the superb athletes it does.

Sound plausible or not?

I can't say I know but it is a very interesting question. When you think the black runners from the Caribbean and the US are very fast sprinters, where as the black African runners tend to be very good long distance runners.

Strange how the development of running is so different. I can only guess its in part down to diet

Associate
I heard somewhere, probably in a completely incorrect conversation that it was to do with the bones. Something about a slightly different shape in black people. That could be complete fallacy though.

Back
Top Bottom