January Transfer Window 20/21

Soldato
Lindelof is not currently injured. Bailly is not currently injured. Maguire is not currently injured. Therefore you have three fit, first team centre backs, which is exactly what I said.

Are you seriously suggesting you need to sign a centre back more than Liverpool, whose top three centre backs and best replacement are all injured, at least two for the long term?

Lindelof is nursing a back injury as he doesn't start every match, eric Baily is injury prone look at his injury track record and that leaves Harry Maguire who as I said plays every match, and Axel Tuanzebe.

also even if you ignore the CB position a backup RB is needed

Soldato
The guys an absolute tool. Why is he still employed? He has to be the most clueless "pundit" on tv. I cant say ive seen a whole lot of either of the signings but if it means not playing Rhys Williams then im fine with it. I still expect Fabinho to be the number 1 cb though with one of the others filling in.

Lindelof is nursing a back injury as he doesn't start every match, eric Baily is injury prone look at his injury track record and that leaves Harry Maguire who as I said plays every match, and Axel Tuanzebe.

We literally dont have a fit CB and all three are out for what appears to be months. Its not comparable.

Soldato
Merson's on fire today. Moyes inherited an aging squad and has done a great job in lowering the average age.

2019/2020 - 27.4yrs
2020/2021 - 27.7yrs

He's also written off Kabak because he played for a team at the bottom of the table so can't be very good.
He isnt the smartest pundit tbf lol

Robertson came from a relagated Hull which turned out super

Soldato

Yes. So you have three potentially injured centre backs. We have three actually injured centre backs, and an injured midfielder who's our first choice replacement centre back. We're at least one step along the "worst case scenario" tracks.

To be clear, I'm not saying you shouldn't sign a centre back, but your insistence that the need at United is greater than Liverpool is bizarre.

Soldato
The guys an absolute tool. Why is he still employed? He has to be the most clueless "pundit" on tv. I cant say ive seen a whole lot of either of the signings but if it means not playing Rhys Williams then im fine with it. I still expect Fabinho to be the number 1 cb though with one of the others filling in.

We literally dont have a fit CB and all three are out for what appears to be months. It's not comparable.

your full-backs can cover ours can't that's the difference

also I forgot Phil Jones is returning from a mysterious knee injury

Soldato
Mustafi to Schalke (contract terminated), Willock to Newcastle (loan) and Maitland-Niles to West Brom (loan) all seem to be going ahead. Be good for Willock to get some regular minutes and AML is probably a loan looking to sell on in the summer.

Don
All the Liverpool press pack are reporting the Kabak deal is all but done. £1m loan fee with an option to buy for £18m in the summer. Davies deal is reportedly £500k with £1.1m in add-ons.

Soldato
Mustafi to Schalke (contract terminated), Willock to Newcastle (loan) and Maitland-Niles to West Brom (loan) all seem to be going ahead. Be good for Willock to get some regular minutes and AML is probably a loan looking to sell on in the summer.
what happened to AML I remember him getting good game time

Caporegime
OP
Happy we appear to be buying a couple of defenders but I'm always wary when it's a player for Germany and neither Bayern and Dortmund are mentioned. I recall Bayern looking at Kabak a year or two ago but he chose to move to Shalke so I'm surprised they're not back in for him.

Wonder if the Matip injury is long term as originally feared which has forced us to buy 2 CBs.

Soldato
Happy we appear to be buying a couple of defenders but I'm always wary when it's a player for Germany and neither Bayern and Dortmund are mentioned. I recall Bayern looking at Kabak a year or two ago but he chose to move to Shalke so I'm surprised they're not back in for him.

Wonder if the Matip injury is long term as originally feared which has forced us to buy 2 CBs.
Even if its not long term matip still doesn't stay fit enough so I'd be happy to replace him.

Quality when he can play but his injury record seems to be getting worse each season

Soldato
What? Robertson and TAA have literally never played centre back as far as I know

that's not what I meant to look at the goals we concede vs Leipzig no one marks the back post as AWB is sucked in a center back position

we play two defensive midfielders to cover our CB

I just checked United's last 10 matches, in all matches you guys had two actual CBs playing as CBs. Wanna compare that to Liverpool's?

how many goals have we conceded vs Liverpool in the last 10 games?

Last edited:
Soldato
Even if its not long term matip still doesn't stay fit enough so I'd be happy to replace him.

Quality when he can play but his injury record seems to be getting worse each season

Yeah. Matip is excellent when he plays but realistically he needs at least one week between games to stay away from muscular injuries. I too think it's about time we replace him.

Caporegime
I think that's a bit of a stretch. A CB would have certainly helped us but in the games where we dropped points it was primarily down to poor finishing.

Which would have partially been down to Hendo and Fab playing CB? I also do not get all this victim stuff with Liverpool and their Cb's. They were very lucky for the past two seasons not to have any injuries and Klopp was playing a dangerous game only having a small squad. City have several hundreds of millions worth of CB's. Everyone knew how the matches were going to pan out for 21 yet despite how much banter Lovren got he could have done a job for you guys for the pittance he went for.

Arguably the CB situation has cost Liverpool back to back titles as no doubt the situation at the back has amplified going forward and scoring goals.

Back
Top Bottom