January Transfer Window 20/21

A bit of news breaking that Southampton are trying to sign Minamino on loan. @Mark1989's heads about to explode :p
Which would have partially been down to Hendo and Fab playing CB? I also do not get all this victim stuff with Liverpool and their Cb's. They were very lucky for the past two seasons not to have any injuries and Klopp was playing a dangerous game only having a small squad. City have several hundreds of millions worth of CB's. Everyone knew how the matches were going to pan out for 21 yet despite how much banter Lovren got he could have done a job for you guys for the pittance he went for.

Arguably the CB situation has cost Liverpool back to back titles as no doubt the situation at the back has amplified going forward and scoring goals.
I'm not sure Liverpool would have finished better with Henderson in midfield, we hopefully would have played better. And I think the reason you mention this victim nonsense about our CB/injury situation is because you also believe the other nonsense about us not having any other injuries in previous seasons. We were without our keeper for a big chunk of last season, Gomez has suffered an ACL, an ankle injury that required surgery and a broken leg prior to this season, Matip and Lovren both picked up regular injuries, we had plenty of injuries in midfield with pretty much everybody except Wijnaldum being out for at least a month last season. The reason why people came out with and believe this nonsense is to try and justify why we were so far ahead (same reason for the VAR rubbish) and because Salah, Mane and VVD weren't out for prolonged periods. We weren't very lucky, it was a myth.

Our luck with injuries this season has been ridiculous though. We've had two players out with 6-9 month injuries within the first couple of months of the season and another 8 senior players that have (or will have by the time they return) missed 2-3 months of football and we're not even 5 months into the season. There's then been your usual smaller injuries (or covid in this season) to the likes of Alisson, Fabinho, Trent, Hendo, Salah and Mane.

A bit of news breaking that Southampton are trying to sign Minamino on loan. @Mark1989's heads about to explode :p

I'm not sure Liverpool would have finished better with Henderson in midfield, we hopefully would have played better. And I think the reason you mention this victim nonsense about our CB/injury situation is because you also believe the other nonsense about us not having any other injuries in previous seasons. We were without our keeper for a big chunk of last season, Gomez has suffered an ACL, an ankle injury that required surgery and a broken leg prior to this season, Matip and Lovren both picked up regular injuries, we had plenty of injuries in midfield with pretty much everybody except Wijnaldum being out for at least a month last season. The reason why people came out with and believe this nonsense is to try and justify why we were so far ahead (same reason for the VAR rubbish) and because Salah, Mane and VVD weren't out for prolonged periods. We weren't very lucky, it was a myth.

Our luck with injuries this season has been ridiculous though. We've had two players out with 6-9 month injuries within the first couple of months of the season and another 8 senior players that have (or will have by the time they return) missed 2-3 months of football and we're not even 5 months into the season. There's then been your usual smaller injuries (or covid in this season) to the likes of Alisson, Fabinho, Trent, Hendo, Salah and Mane.
Just proves my point that he has been wasted with us, I don't want him to go but klopp clearly cba with him

If he goes I hope he does very well, sure he will have last laugh watching origi do sod all

Just proves my point that he has been wasted with us, I don't want him to go but klopp clearly cba with him

If he goes I hope he does very well, sure he will have last laugh watching origi do sod all
Mark whether you rate Minamino (or in this case just don't rate Origi) you have to acknowledge that there must be a reason why Klopp is not picking him. It really isn't because he cba or just to wind you up.

He's a neat and tidy player but since arriving he's not done much and games often pass him by. Going out on loan, playing more often and acclimatising to the League is probably the best thing for him.

Mark whether you rate Minamino (or in this case just don't rate Origi) you have to acknowledge that there must be a reason why Klopp is not picking him. It really isn't because he cba or just to wind you up.

He's a neat and tidy player but since arriving he's not done much and games often pass him by. Going out on loan, playing more often and acclimatising to the League is probably the best thing for him.
I said last week there must be a reason we don't know off. I accept that.

What is also true is that when he has played he hasn't done as bad as people make out, I mean in first few games he made runs behind and literally got ignored so much so in one game it was mentioned after.

When he has played he does put a shift it too, has he had games drift him by too? Yes your right he has at times

Has he had allot of chances? No

Origi has had over 4 seasons with us, plenty of chances during that time, he has had ONE good spell. Which he will go down in history for sure and I'll appreciate that spell like any other Liverpool supporter

That doesn't make him good enough or explain klopp suddenly giving him a chance when yet again he has been crap in each chance given

When a player does well in a game after getting a chance e.g. minamino vs Palace, to suddenly get nothing after is very odd.

With all that being said, if he goes I wish him the best of luck, if origi ever goes I wish him the best of luck too.

I just can't work out why of the two its him that's going.

Generally agree, last couple of season we had a lot of injuries too, but were somewhat lucky in a way that they didn't happen at the same time, e.g. when Gomez was out, Matip was available, and when Matip was out, Gomez was available. Again, when Henderson was out, Fabinho was available, when Fabinho was out, Henderson was available. At one point that TAA was injured two seasons ago, we had both Matip and Gomez so Gomez could play RB.

This season, our injuries came at the same time. VVD and Gomez out for the season, Matip on and off injured, Fabinho out with hamstring for 1 month, TAA out for 1.5 months. Alisson also out for a few games. Robbo is the only first team player in defence who hasn't been injured for 1+ months this year.

I just can't work out why of the two its him that's going.
I can. For a start, Origi won't leave. The club tried to move him on at the start of the 18/19 season, reportedly accepted an offer from Wolves at the start of the 19/20 season and there's been plenty of reports of the same this season too. You can't make a player leave if he doesn't want to.

As for Minamino not doing as bad as some say, I'd actually say he often gets excused for his performances because he's a new signing. He's not had many chances but he's not really taken the ones he's given and the most concerning thing is he just doesn't look physically up to it. He needs to beef up a bit and come to terms with the hustle and bustle of the league. I've no doubt that a big reason why Origi was picked vs Burnley and West Ham, over Minamino, was because of his size and physicality. When Firmino's your 2nd strongest player in the air and you're coming up against West Ham and Burnley (two of the strongest sides in the air), you're not replacing him with Minamino.

Whether you like the something different is another matter but Origi does offer us something different to what we've got. With Jones, Shaq, Ox, Keita and even Thiago, we've got a lot of players that offer everything that Minamino offers and they're all ahead of him in the pecking order too.
Generally agree, last couple of season we had a lot of injuries too, but were somewhat lucky in a way that they didn't happen at the same time, e.g. when Gomez was out, Matip was available, and when Matip was out, Gomez was available. Again, when Henderson was out, Fabinho was available, when Fabinho was out, Henderson was available. At one point that TAA was injured two seasons ago, we had both Matip and Gomez so Gomez could play RB.

This season, our injuries came at the same time. VVD and Gomez out for the season, Matip on and off injured, Fabinho out with hamstring for 1 month, TAA out for 1.5 months. Alisson also out for a few games. Robbo is the only first team player in defence who hasn't been injured for 1+ months this year.
I think there's a difference between not being unlucky and being lucky. Our injury record in previous seasons has been par for the course - we've had our fair share of injuries without being absolutely riddled with injuries like we have this season.

The issue this season hasn't simply been the number of injuries but as you say, the timing of them and the fact that they've been concentrated on two key positions.

A lot of people have said we should have signed a CB in the summer (maybe we should have) but had we done that then we'd have either had to let Wijnaldum go or not signed Thiago. Would we have been any better off signing Kabak in the summer and not having 1 of Thiago or Wijnaldum? Not for me. We'd have just spent the past couple of months with Kabak at CB and Fabinho in midfield instead of Fabinho at CB and Wijnaldum in midfield.

I'm not sure how Minamino's behind Origi but with Shaqiri and Jota also ahead of him, getting game time in the Prem for another club doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Hopefully Southampton have a covert doping program and he bulks up a bit. We've got a very small squad in terms of height and size but a lot of our players know how to use their body to roll defenders and keep the ball, Minamino doesn't have that yet but will hopefully acquire it playing regularly.

Whether you like the something different is another matter but Origi does offer us something different to what we've got. With Jones, Shaq, Ox, Keita and even Thiago, we've got a lot of players that offer everything that Minamino offers and they're all ahead of him in the pecking order too.

That's really all there is to it. Minamino doesn't offer anything unique compared to Shaq, Jones, Ox, Keita, etc. Origi does.

Now we know why we signed two CB's - Matip out for the rest of the season. 3 CB's missing over 6 months worth of football :/

Looks like Minamino to Southampton is a goer. Southampton have submitted a deal sheet giving them until 1am to finalise the paperwork.
Similar thing happened with us, you don't hear about it though :(
Come back when you've got another 7 players out for 2 months too :p

I'd be chuffed for Minamino to get 6 months on loan at Southampton at long as he plays a reasonable amount. There's a real player in there, and a ready made replacement for Bobby with a bit of work.

Back
Top Bottom