Japanese Movies

Soldato
OP
TUNA FISH said:
'Ping Pong' is a good non-violent japanese film i enjoyed a lot.
yeah i thought about that one, but i'm usually not impressed by movies which are based on manga. it sounds good though so i might check it out despite it's origins.

Soldato
OP
Sic said:
it's mildly violent, and possibly Korean, but Old Boy is awesome
Oldboy is...

1) not Japanese, hence of no concern to this thread.

2) definately not 'mildly' violent. it involves gratuitous violence and incest.

one of you should start a "violent (or otherwise) oriental movies" thread if you like, but this particular thread has nothing to do with anything other than non-violent, non-anime JAPANESE movies thankyou! :p

Last edited:
Associate
Sic said:
it's mildly violent, and possibly Korean, but Old Boy is awesome

I thought I was alone in thinking of Oldboy as mildly violent. :D

I think too many films like Ichi the Killer give you a different definition for mild violence.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
seek said:
Oldboy is...

1) not Japanese, hence of no concern to this thread.

2) definately not 'mildly' violent. it involves gratuitous violence and incest.

one of you should start a "violent (or otherwise) oriental movies" thread if you like, but this particular thread has nothing to do with anything other than non-violent, non-anime JAPANESE movies thankyou! :p

i see what you're saying, but it sounds to me like "waaaa, waaaa, waaaa"

i thought it was definitely mildly violent. most of the really violent stuff was suggested...unlike Ichi where you actually see him hack off his own tongue.

you don't have to watch the film, or cry about it if i suggest it.

wedgie22 said:
Mildly violent!

Have you actually seen Oldboy?
evidently yes
TommoUK said:
I thought I was alone in thinking of Oldboy as mildly violent.
na, you're not. i've seen loads worse. i thought it was a great film, and because it upset the OP so much that i posted about it, i'm taking great pleasure in the subsequent posts that resulted from my mentioning it :p

Soldato
Sic said:
na, you're not. i've seen loads worse. i thought it was a great film, and because it upset the OP so much that i posted about it, i'm taking great pleasure in the subsequent posts that resulted from my mentioning it :p

Just because you've seen worse, that doesn't make Oldboy mildly violent.

Maybe it is mildly violent in comparison to (insert random violent film here), but on it's own merits it is a very violent film. I've certainly yet to see a review that doesn't comment on how violent it is at times.

Oldboy MPAA rating:-

Title: Oldboy (2005)
Rating: R
Rating Reason: Rated R for strong violence including scenes of torture, sexuality and pervasive language.
Distributor: Tartan Films Usa

;)

Last edited:

Sic

Sic

Soldato
wedgie22 said:
Just because you've seen worse, that doesn't make Oldboy mildly violent.

Maybe it is mildly violent in comparison to (insert random violent film here), but on it's own merits it is a very violent film. I've certainly yet to see a review that doesn't comment on how violent it is at times.

Oldboy MPAA rating:-

Title: Oldboy (2005)
Rating: R
Rating Reason: Rated R for strong violence including scenes of torture, sexuality and pervasive language.
Distributor: Tartan Films Usa

;)
to me it does. if i don't see it as that violent a film, then im going to recommend it. it's really that simple. luckily for me, i dont base all my opinions of films on reviews that i've read, or the MPAA.

also, for the record, it was a serious recommendation of an eastern film (it's ok to broaden your horizons once in a while) that i thought fitted your request. as you're throwing your toys out of the pram over something that's slightly different, yet relevant to what you requested...here's something that 100% fits the bill:

Spirited Away

enjoy

Last edited:
Soldato
Sic said:
also, for the record, it was a serious recommendation of an eastern film (it's ok to broaden your horizons once in a while) that i thought fitted your request.
You honestly thought Oldboy fitted this criteria?
seek said:
is there anyone who can recommend some NON-VIOLENT Japanese movies?
Sic said:
So you don't take any notice of the MPAA or anyone else that disagrees with your opinion, but as soon as one person shares your opinion you get all excited. :p

Back
Top Bottom