Java course ~£1600. Worth it?

Soldato
It really depends, if you do this course and it gives you a really good chance of getting a full-time job then it could be worth it. You are covering a fair amount of content in 5 days so you'll really need to know all the basics first or you'll be scratching your head a fair bit.

I did something similar with .net development. I managed to make up a working website with a SQL DB for storage over the duration of the course and it landed me a junior development job (I had no other relevant qualifications at the time). Talking to my boss he said it showed that I was committed to personally fund a course. This was years ago and most of our juniors now start with degrees and usually personal projects as well.

Associate
Hells no, any of the class room courses I've been on have just been an exercise in typing the code given to you as quickly as possible. Very little of the material has time to sink in as the instructor is generally rushing to get through it, also the instructor is just that they are unlikely to have any real world experience of programming so cant apply what they are teaching beyond text books examples.

I'd recommend getting a pluralsight subscription instead for $29pm, they have tons of courses and while I've only done .net ones they have been excellent. http://www.pluralsight.com/search/?searchTerm=java

Soldato
My experience of QA courses has been that they are all pretty basic.
IMHO the only ones worth doing are Developmentor (www.develop.com)

Having said all that I've not done a single course since I've been a contractor and have learned far more than I did when I was permie.
You also need to factor in the money you'll lose by not billing for the days you'll be on the course.

I'd recommend a Pluralsight account as mentioned above and a Safari books online subscription.

AGD

AGD

Soldato
Learn it by yourself.

Programmers need to spend their whole career self-learning so get used to it! :p

Back
Top Bottom