Java Education

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to start learning how to program in Java, with the aim to get the basic Oracle Certificate.

I've started by watching some beginners videos on YouTube, but would like something a bit more structured.

Can anyone recommend me a comprehensive training course, ideally online on-demand learning tailored for the Oracle exams.

Thanks

Caporegime
can't say I know much about the certificate and I'm not sure many devs bother with certificates - though maybe someone else who has done it can comment on the usefulness of it

if you want to learn to program then personally I'd take a look at the first three courses here:

https://see.stanford.edu/Course

first one does use java, the other two C++

Soldato
A certification on your CV is largely just used by HR or recruiters as a filter, personally I regard them as unimportant. All it shows is you were capable of cramming for an exam or a coding test.

It doesn't tell me if you can code production quality (which is different to any course you will ever been on), work in a team, understand customer requirements, think fast when a production system has died and no-one is sure why, or any of the other real stuff that matters. Coding is generally less than half and usually the simplest part of the job.

What is your starting point ? Are you already a developer with proficiency in some other language, a tech support person looking to escape the phones, some completely unrelated job and you want a career change or what ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What is your starting point ? Are you already a developer with proficiency in some other language, a tech support person looking to escape the phones, some completely unrelated job and you want a career change or what ?

I've not learnt any other languages, just some beginners Java.

I've recently been employed by a large financial institution to do ACA training, which once completed, I hope to use to move into banking. I figured a Java qualification, on top of ACA, would make me look a more attractive hire to a bank.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not learnt any other languages, just some beginners Java.

I've recently been employed by a large financial institution to do ACA training, which once completed, I hope to use to move into banking. I figured a Java qualification, on top of ACA, would make me look a more attractive hire to a bank.

Ok. There's others on here who can provide better advice on the banking side as that's not a sector I know that well. I'd hazard a guess that it won't hurt, but whether its worthwhile doing the extra work on top of the ACA training is going to be a tough call. Lots of factors involved.

If you were to be going down the pure development route, then I would say definitely go for it, as you likely have nothing else that will get you past the initial screening filters when applying for development jobs. If your CV has no qualifications, no previous development jobs and nothing like participation in open source visible, it will go in the bin. Harsh - but that is how it works - your competition will have some or all of those.

If you're looking at a hybrid role, using both sets of skills, then the qualification would help, however using both skills in a practical application would count for a lot more. If some part of the AQA learning or coursework can lead to an application you can build and demonstrate then you will have a real advantage. It doesn't have to be production quality, just simple enough to show you've thought through what is needed and put the ideas together as a proof of concept.

And finally ... use the big advantage you already have - your employer. There will be people with the kinds of roles you are looking for already there - and the company is investing in your training - so you should be able to approach them and ask what they do, how they got started and so on.

Caporegime
might be useful - though getting v.good with excel VBA is likely the quickest way for you to be visibly productive

qualified accountants often end up in product control roles in banks - middle office role, reporting of a trading desk. Technical knowledge is not going to be a bad thing in general in that sort of role.

I guess the other area they sometimes go into is Investment Banking - long hours, lots of travelling, lots of powerpoint presentations - don't think coding skills/technical knowledge will be much use in investment banking though.

Soldato
While Excel is still very widely used, the post-2008 regulatory landscape has meant a big drive towards more secure data management (i.e. not using systems where any chump can change figures). Oracle and Java are still very prominent, more so than .NET in my experience in finance.

Back
Top Bottom