Java noob - ADT help

Associate
So i'm learning Java..and I must say, im pretty noobish, or sometimes illogical and struggling. But I've got an ADT and variables of what I want which is.

A client's details is recorded, id,name etc.
And I need to make a search algorithm of some sort to search for the certain id and bring its details up. If it's possible calculate the difference in time/date that it was entered from the current date.

And be able to sort them. I've also looked into Queues, for the interface..and I dont seem to understand it very well.

Any insightful knowledge or ways to go about it, with points to the right direction.

Associate
Where are you storing these entered client details, in a database or in a collection in memory? The solution will be different depending upon where the data is being retrieved from. For a database you will want to filter using a SQL query (most likely through an ORM). For a collection in memory you could use the java streams API which makes filtering/ordering incredibly simple.

I may not quite understand but why do you think you need a queue for anything, are you doing anything which needs FIFO behaviour?

Let me know what you've tried and where you've gotten stuck and I will try to remember to check back and offer some help :)

Associate
OP
Where are you storing these entered client details, in a database or in a collection in memory? The solution will be different depending upon where the data is being retrieved from. For a database you will want to filter using a SQL query (most likely through an ORM). For a collection in memory you could use the java streams API which makes filtering/ordering incredibly simple.

I may not quite understand but why do you think you need a queue for anything, are you doing anything which needs FIFO behaviour?

Let me know what you've tried and where you've gotten stuck and I will try to remember to check back and offer some help :)

Hey, i'm going to get down to doing it tonight.
No, I'm not using sql, just going to have the details within a collection, or array list. I'll update it later on. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom