Java Source Code to UML

Soldato
Hi all,

I need a program/plugin that will convert Java source code into a simple UML diagram.

To give you an idea, something like this (took this from the internet)

Also, can you please tell me how to use it? because I have downloaded a lot of stuff, but I can't figure out how they work, or they don't give required results.

Preferably, it should work with BlueJ or Netbeans. if not, no problem, tell me anyway.

Thanks.

netbeans has a UML plugin. here

it should just be the case of telling it what classes you want but you might need to wire up the ralationships between the classes manually

From what I gathered, that plugin was for Netbeans 6.5, and was discontinued after netbeans 6.7.

I downloaded Netbeans 6.5, but it told me I need an older JDK version for it to work.

If you're converting Java to UML you're doing it wrong. UML comes before the programming.

ArgoUML is generally the standard although it's pretty buggy and can do both ways but if you're relying on automation you should carefully check/verify visibility and associations are correct. If it's for homework I would strongly suggest manually creating the UML diagram from your java classes.

Jdeveloper I believe also has UML Modelling built in.

If you're converting Java to UML you're doing it wrong. UML comes before the programming.

ArgoUML is generally the standard although it's pretty buggy and can do both ways but if you're relying on automation you should carefully check/verify visibility and associations are correct. If it's for homework I would strongly suggest manually creating the UML diagram from your java classes.

If your documenting an existing system then going from java to uml is fine but if your writing anything new, then yes, uml should be done first during a design phase

I'm trying to go from code to UML, as explained by agent_paul.

I THINK I found a way, although I'm not sure it fully works.

Thanks all, I'll still check out your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom