JayGee's Dark Base Pro 900 Water Cooled Build

Associate
Introduction
This is my first post on this forum (hello to all) and I'm posting to share the details of what will be my third build, and the first one that I'm starting that will be water cooled from the get go. For the record the first build was a gaming rig that started off as air cooled but was then converted over to being water cooled after about six months; and the second build was a low power home server.

The spec for this build is unquestionably overkill for my gaming needs - I'm essentially a casual gamer - but what this build is intended to do is to scratch my itch to build a new, relatively silent, high performance and aesthetically pleasing system, one that I can put some time into as I don't need to tear down the existing game rig whilst I build this one.

Case & Core Components
Case: bequiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Orange/Black
Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula
CPU: i7-8700K (OCUK delidded and prebinned @5GHZ)
GPU: 2 x Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 ti OC w/ Asus ROG HB SLI bridge
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200MHz, RGB
PSU: EVGA Supanova 1000 T2
Storage: 1 x Samsung Evo 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD (for OS); 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD (Raid 0 for games/benchmarks); 1 x Seagate 2TB FireCuda 2.5" internal SSHD.

Cooling Components
CPU Block: Phanteks Glacier C350i acrylic cover & RGB
GPU Blocks: Phanteks Glacier GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix full water block & RGB
Rads: 2 x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS420
Fans: 7 x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM
Res: EK-RES X3 250 RGB
Pump: EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM
Hardline: Monsoon 13mm
Fittings: Primarily Monsoon Free Center in Black Chrome

Challenges & Unknowns
1/ Fitting 2 x 420 rads in the case - the bequiet! literature suggests that this is possible with one to the front and one up top but I've also seen lots of folk who have said that this is a challenge.
2/ Airflow - I love the case aesthetics but I've also read that the airflow can be a challenge - I'm almost certain that this will lead me to make some mods to the case.
3/ Power Supply - will 1000W be sufficient? (my current rig is running SLI and has an 850W which runs with headroom so I believe that this should be fine, but some power calculations suggest 1200W or even 1600W would be needed)
4/ PSU Shroud - I plan to build custom cables but I'm still conscious that the lack of a shroud might mean things could look a little untidy. I've a cunning plan on how to address that but I'll keep that under wraps for now. ;)
5/ SSD Mounting - I plan to strip out all of the internal bay mounts and front bays that come with the case to accommodate the rads, res and pump - but that will lead to challenges on where to mount the SSD's - this will likely lead to some mods as well.
6/ Res/Pump Mounting - until I figure out how to accommodate the rads how I mount the res and pumps is TBD, I'm comfortable that there shall be room but with a dual pump that extends beyond the width of a 140mm fan I'm not entirely sure how that will fit in just yet - more modding may be required.
7/ Hardline routing - I'm thinking that I'll feed the GPUs in parallel but beyond that how I route things will largly depend on how/where the rads/fans fit and their orientation.
8/ Cables - this is the first build that I plan to make my own custom cables, so a jump into the unknown for me and therefore listed as a challenge.

Timeline
I expect to have most of the key components with me by the end of this week but I'll need to fit the build in with a full time day job and also some personal commitments over the next few weekends. As such I'm expecting this build to take some time to execute on, quite possibly stretching into February at least. I'm also conscious that I need to curb my natural tendency to "blast through things" and instead try and spend a little more time on the quality of the end result - I'm hopeful that the fact that I have a working system already shall help with that!
Next update shall likely be pictures of the various boxed components - that could be this coming Saturday but that is dependent on some other personal stuff that may need to be prioritised over this.

Soldato
900 case ordered ? should see the new 700, with subtle RGB at the front for the strix

as with airlflow you'll have none- you can set those silent wing 3 to 100% and will be quieter then most fans at 50%!!! the static pressure will also pull and push through anything pretty much

phanteks is a lovely block! hand one on my strix 1070- would recommend Thermal Grizzlie thermal pads, think its 1.5mm thick pads .

also check the serial number of the Strix Ti, know there was a design change which makes new ones not compatible with older verison- EK made note of it first

Associate
OP
900 case ordered ? should see the new 700, with subtle RGB at the front for the strix

as with airlflow you'll have none- you can set those silent wing 3 to 100% and will be quieter then most fans at 50%!!! the static pressure will also pull and push through anything pretty much

phanteks is a lovely block! hand one on my strix 1070- would recommend Thermal Grizzlie thermal pads, think its 1.5mm thick pads .

also check the serial number of the Strix Ti, know there was a design change which makes new ones not compatible with older verison- EK made note of it first
Yes, I have the 900 ordered - it *should* be arriving today.
Thanks for the tip re the TG pads - I'll look some out when I can confirm which size I need (I've already got some TG Kryonaut paste).
WRT the Strix Ti's thanks for the heads-up, I wasn't aware of that - I'll do some digging and check the serial numbers as you suggest.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks, I found a similar article elsewhere, I've checked my cards and found that they're both in the range that EKWB have indicated are affected <-- false statement, see edit comment below.
- I've written to Phanteks to see if this change will also cause compatibility issues with their blocks as I've not found anything other than the EKWB note.
- I'll share any details that I get back from Phanteks.

EDIT: Actually I'd assumed :rolleyes: (yep that old mistake) that the change would affect all new cards and because my cards have serial numbers beyond the top range of those advertised thought that they must also be affected. That assumption might actually be wrong, but the cards stay boxed for now in the hope that ASus will confirm one way or another.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, I found a similar article elsewhere, I've checked my cards and found that they're both in the range that EKWB have indicated are affected.
- I've written to Phanteks to see if this change will also cause compatibility issues with their blocks as I've not found anything other than the EKWB note.
- I'll share any details that I get back from Phanteks.

you should be able to see the block design of both phantkes and EKWB strix ti unit- holes for components clearance and ram chips will be the same

doesn't help ASUS dont allow cooler removal and use sticker son screws - use some pliers to remove it ;)

Associate
OP
you should be able to see the block design of both phantkes and EKWB strix ti unit- holes for components clearance and ram chips will be the same

doesn't help ASUS dont allow cooler removal and use sticker son screws - use some pliers to remove it ;)
For now both the cards and the blocks are staying in their original packaging until I've got more clarity (hopefully from Phanteks) on the extent of the issue and whether or not there is a practical work-around. Worst case scenario I'll return both cards and blocks to find an alternative as I'm fully set on water cooling the whole rig.

Soldato
For now both the cards and the blocks are staying in their original packaging until I've got more clarity (hopefully from Phanteks) on the extent of the issue and whether or not there is a practical work-around. Worst case scenario I'll return both cards and blocks to find an alternative as I'm fully set on water cooling the whole rig.

try their social media as well, facebook/ twitter etc to see if they reply back quicker .

aorus waterforce has block pre assembled and RGB but then you'll be clashing - if your not OCD then its fine :D haha
evga could be another shout

Associate
OP
try their social media as well, facebook/ twitter etc to see if they reply back quicker .
Good idea - I've pinged Phanteks on both FB and Twitter.

aorus waterforce has block pre assembled and RGB but then you'll be clashing - if your not OCD then its fine :D haha
evga could be another shout
If it comes to it the Aorus Waterforce looks like a good option at least as far as the colours should tie in with the case orange+black.

The other option that comes to mind is that assuming that the Phanteks blocks are currently incompatible (seems likely to be the case), then I would expect that they'll come out with a new variant to fit the new PCB layout at some point in time - depending on when that is I can either defer the build until then or take a two step approach and start-out with the GPU's in their stock config. As much as I'd like to go full water from the outset the two step approach would extend the building fun - i.e. I'd have a very clear second phase/next step to undertake after the initial build.

Associate
ohhh nice build here... i'm doing similar in the DBPro 900 white during the year... got the case, just saving for the rest of the parts

you going normal or inverted layout with the case?

Associate
OP
ohhh nice build here... i'm doing similar in the DBPro 900 white during the year... got the case, just saving for the rest of the parts

you going normal or inverted layout with the case?
Current plan is to use it in its normal orientation but that may change depending on how I get along with figuring out how to best accommodate everything - for instance if I need extra clearance at the top then inverting it might give me that. That said part of the appeal of the case is the flexibility to move the MoBo vertically which, I'm anticipating, means that I should be able to get sufficient clearance between MoBo/RAM and a top mounted rad+fans.

Associate
yeah, you should... even in the normal layout with the spacing, you've got about 75mm worth of space above the motherboard... more than enough for most setups :D

i only wish this case came with a PSU shroud... going to have to invest in an aftermarket one for my rig lol

Associate
OP
i only wish this case came with a PSU shroud... going to have to invest in an aftermarket one for my rig lol
I was originally contemplating making one out of acrylic (and may yet still go that route), but then I had another idea which I think could be pretty cool if it pans out... I won't divulge that just yet as I first want to measure things up (dependent on the case turning up) and do some experimentation/prototyping (dependent on some other bits and pieces turning up).

Associate
i'm probably going to order one made from V1tech... he does pretty nice custom ones in either short or long lengths in any colour you can think of

i'm going with him so i can get some custom backplates and grills at the same time for a cohesive look :D

Associate
OP
i'm probably going to order one made from V1tech... he does pretty nice custom ones in either short or long lengths in any colour you can think of

i'm going with him so i can get some custom backplates and grills at the same time for a cohesive look :D
Yep, I've seen those, at least pictures of, they look like a solid option too.

Associate
only option i've got really as i've never worked with acrylic before, so wouldn't even know where to start making a shroud or anything fancy lol

Associate
lol true

might give it a go someday... guessing it's similar to working with PETG, just in flat form lol

you planned out your loop already? would be curious to see some other ideas on cooling the 900 aside from my own plans

Associate
OP
lol true

might give it a go someday... guessing it's similar to working with PETG, just in flat form lol

you planned out your loop already? would be curious to see some other ideas on cooling the 900 aside from my own plans
Not yet - and it's all even more up in the air due to the uncertainty around compatibility between the GPU cards and blocks thanks to Asus ninja changing their PCB design as mentioned above ^^.

Associate
ahh yeah i head about that, pain in the ass

i'm sure you'll get it sorted :D

will keep an eye out to see your build progress

Back
Top Bottom