JetBrains Fleet, interesting VSCode competition?

Associate
I've been following Fleet for a while now and seen some videos popping up recently, I personally think it could be an incredibly useful tool. I never got on with VS Code for the more in-depth stuff and primarily use Rider or WebStorm, but Fleets "editor first" approach seems like they could actually rival VSCode for the text editor scene.

The smart IDE feature and the other remote features look very interesting, but obviously being JetBrains... How much is it.going to cost?!

Would you spend any money on something like Fleet when you have VSCode for free? I never managed to get VSCode anywhere near as good as any other software to use as an IDE.

Associate
OP
I was a big fan of the JetBrains tools (mainly PHP Storm) before switching to Atom and then VS Code. Have signed up to the waitlist to give it a go.

Although unless it is free once released I think I will find it very hard to switch from VS Code.
The pricing will definitely be their biggest hurdle here. Luckily I get the full JetBrains ultimate license through work, which I'm assuming will include Fleet once released, so I'll have no real excuse not to use it!

Associate
OP
I will definitely give it a go. I have an annual personal All Products license. After having the subscription for three years the price reduces to a reasonable cost for what it offers.
I get the all products license through work so I'll definitely be giving it a go. Pricing would likely what holds it back for most people without a company to back them up on cost though.

Associate
OP
No hands on yet, but the point is that it's a super light text editor with some of the QoL features, but press a button and you enable the full IDE features with intellisense etc. on a whim.

I guess kinda like running stock-ish VS Code, then enabling all your plugins, then disabling them all when you're done

Back
Top Bottom